Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pwjohns
Reel Rookie

Lost remote, purchased new remote but did a factory reset and now cannot activate

We have had a regular Roku player for a few years.  We lost the remote and purchased a new remote, but in the process of trying to get it the new remote to link, I did a factory reset on the back of the Roku and now the remote isn't pairing when I press the button on the back of the remote.  We are stuck at the "Let's get started" screen.  We cannot find the original remote.  We have tried taking the batteries out of the new remote and unplugging the Roku to restart.   Is there any way to get the Roku to play?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Lost remote, purchased new remote but did a factory reset and now cannot activate

@pwjohns wrote:

We have had a regular Roku player for a few years.  We lost the remote and purchased a new remote, but in the process of trying to get it the new remote to link, I did a factory reset on the back of the Roku and now the remote isn't pairing when I press the button on the back of the remote.  We are stuck at the "Let's get started" screen.  We cannot find the original remote.  We have tried taking the batteries out of the new remote and unplugging the Roku to restart.   Is there any way to get the Roku to play?

We need to know what model Roku player you are referring to. Different Roku players have different remotes, and they may not be compatible with the remote you purchased. Since you can't control the Roku, you should be able to find a model number somewhere on the player itself. But fair warning: if your Roku is the model 3100 (Roku 2 XS), it is the only Roku that used Bluetooth as the wireless protocol, and the WiFi direct versions of the remote won't work. However, it would support a standard IR remote. And the IR remotes don't require pairing. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
pwjohns
Reel Rookie

Re: Lost remote, purchased new remote but did a factory reset and now cannot activate

The model # is 2400X

0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, the 2400 was released in Nov 2011. It's name is the Roku LT, and the highest resolution it supports is 720p. Its remote is IR only, so there's nothing to pair. Unless you bought a remote for a Roku Stick, it should support IR, so make sure there's nothing blocking the view between the Roku and the remote. 

If you can't get the remote to work, test the remote by looking at the end through a smart phone camera. If you see a blinking light when you press a remote button, it's working fine. If it won't control the Roku, more than likely your Roku has failed in some way. Honestly, it's time to replace that old thing. It can't even run the majority of the latest channels available, such as Disney Plus. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
pwjohns
Reel Rookie

Thanks.  I didn't realize it was that old, but we would like to get it to work vs. buy a new one.  We will keep trying to get it to function.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

If the new remote has a pairing key in the battery compartment it will never work on your 2400 roku. But a cheap universal remote from target or dollar store that lists roku will work, since they are IR and that's only type of remote your roku accepts

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@pwjohns 

Thanks for the information.

Please be aware that the Roku LT 2400 is a much older device. However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
pwjohns
Reel Rookie

Thanks Danny.  I emailed you the serial number.

pwj

0 Kudos

I am having the same issue with my Roku. It is stuck on Let's get started. I tried my android remote, and 3 other roku remotes. I did a factory reset and still nothing. The only info I can find on the device is c33841245979. is this outdated?

0 Kudos
renojim

@radiodjfern, there must be a model number on your Roku device somewhere.  It should be four digits usually followed by an X (or R or RW).

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos