Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sban3k

LG Smart TV and Roku Remote

Ok - I didn't see this listed elsewhere - I have to believe there is a solution.  I have an LG Smart TV streaming Hulu Live, and I bought and installed a Roku Streaming Stick +.  The remote paired successfully, meaning that I can change channels, get to settings, etc.  What doesn't work is the volume control and the on/off button on the Roku remote.  I have gone through the pairing process with the music, and my TV doesn't recognize any of the channels.  I plug in "LG" under "try again" and I go round and round where Roku tells me that it can't pair my tv, but go out to Roku support, reseat the batteries, etc.  None of this works.  Can't call Roku support because of the Pandemic, and no one has yet responded to my question "officially" - what am I doing wrong?  Thanks for your help!

6 REPLIES 6
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: LG Smart TV and Roku Remote

You will get better results if the stick weren't buried behind the tv during programming the remote for your tv. If it has clear line of dsight to the roku stick and the front of the tv while using new batteries it will work alot better. Once its controlling the tv you can moved it back to behind the tv. 

If that doesn't help, switch to goldstar or vizio as the tv brand. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
marciem
Channel Surfer

I have just recently encountered this same problem, and since my ROKU remote was a few years old I bought a new one.  After pairing, the new one still didn't work for volume and on/off, but everything else.  On going to settings/remotes and trying to set it up, it asked for my TV brand.  I put in LG and it found no items on searching.  I'm taking it that for some reason Roku has updated their software and excluded LG TV's??  This is so far the only place I have seen this problem mentioned.

Suzy71nc
Binge Watcher

A user posted if you go to settings and add new remote and hit the button in the inside of the remote to pair.  It worked for my tvs including LG.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Only wifi roku remotes have tv controls, the pairing button is strictly for pairing the wifi remote to roku itself. Its not for programming tv or resetting remote. Once the wifi remote is paired to the Roku, then you use the on-screen menu to program the tv in:

settings> remote> remote in use> program tv> follow prompts

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
rsathyaraj

Thanks very much that worked!

0 Kudos
Knyte77

Thank you so much for this!! Worked for me too!

0 Kudos