Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brandoney21
Level 7

Just bought a new remote for the tv will automatically work for all Roku tvs

I lost my original Sharp Roku TV remote and now buying a new remote from Best Buy today will it automatically work on my tv or do I need to do something to make it work on my tv

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Just bought a new remote for the tv will automatically work for all Roku tvs

If you bought a basic Roku player IR remote, it likely will not work on the TV. The Roku TVs that I own (Sharp and Insignia) both have IR remotes that will not control a Roku player. Any remote you buy must be specifically for a Roku TV. But as long as it's a TV remote, then yes it should simply work. There's no need to pair an IR remote. Now if the remote you buy is a WiFi Direct remote (has a button to speak commands and has volume buttons on the side), then it most likely can be paired with the TV. 

The simplest way to pair a WiFi remote when you don't have the original is to use the Roku app on a phone or tablet and get to the Settings/Remote menu to activate the new pair. If you don't have that option, I believe the TV will look for a remote to pair after a cold start, so pull the power cord on the TV, but the batteries in the remote, then plug the TV in and turn it on.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos