Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcreager
Level 7

Is trying to drive 2 headphones (via splitter) problematic?

The headphone jack in my Roku 3 is one of its best features.  Have spent many nights binge watching without disturbing the rest of the house.

But now I want to watch some shows with my wife, so I got an audio splitter cable.  It works fine, (as long a remote stays paired) but I'm worried if this causes too much power draw, or otherwise might be too taxing for the remote.  (The main reason I'm wondering is in a separate thread:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=142652

)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Is trying to drive 2 headphones (via splitter) problematic?

Using the headphone jack absolutely increases battery draw, so you have to replace them sooner. Remember to unplug the headphones when not using them or your batteries will be dead in days. Driving a second pair "might" cause issues with the audio amp in the remote, depending on how it's designed. It's possible that connecting two pairs changes the load on the amp to something it can't support long term, and you end up with a dead amp. Or, it may work just fine for a long time. It would take a Roku engineer to say for sure, and we'll never get an answer like that here. But I would be comfortable stating the batteries will be drained faster, since you have to drive twice as many earpieces, and that takes more power to maintain the same volume level. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the post here. 

If you are wanting to use multiple sets of headphones for private listening, I'd recommend using the Roku mobile app as the optimal solution for this use-case. We now support multi-device private listening for this type of usage. See more about that here: 

https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
pcreager
Level 7

Thanks Tanner, sounds like a possibe solution.  Can you confirm if Private Listening is supported on the Roku 3?  (It's not even listed on the compare devices page.)

Reading the info, I'm not happy about having to switch to WiFi though, as my hardwired 1Gb connection is superior to WiFi in every way.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Private Listening may not be supported on all older models. There were multiple versions of the Roku 3, which offered varying support for this feature. Feel free to PM me with your Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About and I can help take a closer look for you. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos