Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frank1203
Level 8

Is there a way to control my LG TV with the "Simple Remote"?

Jump to solution

Hello I recently installed the Roku Express on my older LG TV. It all works fine, but I can't get the Roku Simple remote to turn the TV on/off or control the volume so I basically am using 2 remotes and I hate it.. Is this even possible? I've read other posts and am not sure where I go from here as they are contradicting. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is there a way to control my LG TV with the "Simple Remote"?

Jump to solution

No you can;t do it with simple roku IR remote sorry. Only Wifi roku remotes have tv controls. You ditch the roku remote get a universal remote that has roku listed and it will control your tv as well. I like the One-For-All urc-7935 streamer universal remote. They can be found cheap on ebay or purchased for under $20 at walmart. Here's a photo next to roku tv wifi remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
frank1203
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you. I appreciate your time and your expert incite. I ordered the Roku RCAL7R this afternoon from Walmart and once I receive it, I will install and let you know how everything turns out.  Hopefully, it will work with my LG TV and not just Roku TV products. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

No you can;t do it with simple roku IR remote sorry. Only Wifi roku remotes have tv controls. You ditch the roku remote get a universal remote that has roku listed and it will control your tv as well. I like the One-For-All urc-7935 streamer universal remote. They can be found cheap on ebay or purchased for under $20 at walmart. Here's a photo next to roku tv wifi remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund

0 Kudos
frank1203
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for the prompt reply..

Let me make sure I understood what you said before I buy anything. I think there were two answers? (1) I can buy a "Wifi Roku Remote" which will work and control the TV (do you know what name/model that is); or I can buy a universal remote like the one you suggested (One-For-All urc-7935 streamer universal remote). Will the universal remote you recommended also do all the Roku commands as well as turn the TV on and off, etc? Sorry for needing additional clarification but I want to make sure I understand it. Thanks.

Frank 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

As long as the express isn't 3700 model, which is IR only roku. Starting with 3900 express and newer you can get wifi remote at walmart or best buy, pair it to your express and then program it to control the tv. Go into the settings, if you see Remote & devices listed as option it can can be paired to wifi remote. The express 3700 has no remote item in the settings, it has Network then Theme, where express with remote control setting has Network, Remote & devices, and then Theme. The Voice remote is the RC-AL7R. 

Yes the urc-7935 streamer remote is one device remote that can be programmed for three kinds of devices, streamer(the roku), Tv, and Soundbar. Different area's of the remote are dedicated to certain device. It is a learning remote too, so you can teach commands directly from your oem remote. Like cover the app keys at the bottom whatever you wish. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
frank1203
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi and thanks again. My Roku Express Model is 3930R. However, I contacted the company that makes the urc-7935 streamer remote (One-For-All) and they tell me their remote will not work for me. If I understood them correctly - the issue is that their remote is RF but the LG TV is IR and their remote can't handle both. She referred me to the Roku website for a remote that can handle both the RF and IR together but I can't seem to find it or I don't know what I'm looking at. Is that the RC-AL7R you mentioned?

I appreciate your help.

Frank

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

OFA person is wrong, the urc-7935 is IR only remote, I own 4 of them, three are used with Roku tv's, and the fourth is used on a Roku Ultra 4800. 

As for the Roku remote its $19.99 Voice remote second down on this page but it is backordered until Feb. But the exact same remote is in stock under Roku tv's. see second link.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

It can be ordered from amazon as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-RCAL7R-Voice-Remote-New/dp/B07WVFCKSS/ref=pd_ybh_a_34?_encoding=UTF8&psc...

The keys are not black at the bottom they will come with apps assigned to them. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
frank1203
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you. I appreciate your time and your expert incite. I ordered the Roku RCAL7R this afternoon from Walmart and once I receive it, I will install and let you know how everything turns out.  Hopefully, it will work with my LG TV and not just Roku TV products. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
frank1203
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hello, just wanted to touch base. I just installed the Roku Voice Remote that you suggested and everything now works perfectly! I can turn my TV on/off and mute and control volume all on the same remote that controls the Roku Express device. All good! In fact, I'm going to go buy another one now for a friend who was having the same concern.

Thanks so much for your expert incite!

Frank