Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thezman007
Level 7

Is there ANY remote in the Roku lineup that has a mute button

and pairs with a Roku Ultra? It's literally the only thing I really miss. Otherwise I am very happy with my Roku!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Is there ANY remote in the Roku lineup that has a mute button

Only the TVs have a Mute button.  They are Infra Red, so it "might" work with the Ultra.
0 Kudos
thezman007
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:
Only the TVs have a Mute button.  They are Infra Red, so it "might" work with the Ultra.

I believe the Ultra is RF only, but thank you for the reply.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

The ultra takes infrared Roku remote signals too.

The only Roku's that don't take IR are the sticks, as far as I know.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"thezman007" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

I believe the Ultra is RF only, but thank you for the reply.

It isn't. Only the sticks are RF only.
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

I use couple IR GE 33709 4-device Universal Remote (with mute button) for my Premiere+ and Roku 2 (4210). These remotes don't have to be pointed directly at the device, just in general direction. Use one remote for my Sony TV, Premiere+, and Sony 3D Blu-Ray player. Other remote used for Samsung TV, Roku 2, and Panasonic DVD recorder/player. Remotes work great with all my devices.

(Today 4/8 ) Walmart online regular price $9.32, right now $5.84 with Pickup Today (if you have local store(s) and it's in stock, so for me $5.84 + 0.46 MY tax = $6.30 total OR if no local store $12.15 total (remote + shipping + MY tax). I've noticed local store prices may be higher than online prices; so buying online and Pickup Today option might be cheaper. I'd recommend checking prices online and at store(s) to verify prices before any purchase.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

No Walmart for me when I can help it.. it's only $5.84 on Amazon, too, as an add on item ($25 minimum order).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

"thezman007" wrote:
and pairs with a Roku Ultra? It's literally the only thing I really miss. Otherwise I am very happy with my Roku!

You could technically pair the TCL Roku TV enhanced remote (RC126 / BRC64) with your Roku Ultra player, but unfortunately the TV power, volume and mute buttons on that remote can't be programmed with IR codes to control your 3rd-party TV brand.  The TCL enhanced remote does have both Wi-Fi and an IR emitter (just like your original Roku Ultra remote) and can likewise control the Roku system via IR when the Wi-Fi Direct connection is lost, but the Roku menu doesn't allow the TCL remote to be autoprogrammed with 3rd-party IR codes.

I'm not sure what happens if your TV brand is compatible with Roku extended HDMI-CEC control, whether the TCL remote's mute button would work (much less the power/volume buttons)?

Anyways I had to temporarily do this when I was running short on remotes -- pair a TCL RC126 remote to a Roku Ultra hooked up to an LG TV.  Had to revert back to the LG remote just to change volume and such.  Funnily enough, I'd then moved the Ultra and hooked it up to an actual TCL Roku TV set, and the TCL remote (which again is still paired to the Ultra) could automatically control the power, volume and mute on the Roku TV set.

P.S.  Note that TCL has a new, slimmer enhanced remote for 2018, see here.  But I doubt it would work any better?
0 Kudos
mike1597
Level 7

This universal Roku style remote has mute.
https://www.amazon.com/Made-Streaming-P ... B078P6N7DC
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

That does look like a nice 3rd-party remote.

Small caveat, it's IR only and won't have some features of the original Roku Ultra remote (voice, headphone jack, remote finder, point anywhere, etc).
0 Kudos