Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

IR working inconsistently in Express+

Suddenly today the IR is not receiving remote commands consistently and is behaving erratically. Yesterday, the Roku Express+ worked perfectly. Today, it was either not responding to the remote at all, or would start scrolling and not stop. I have done the following:

- It felt like a battery issue, so I replaced them (although the current ones tested strong), but that didn't make a difference.

- I restarted the Roku - no difference. I restarted it, unplugging everything and removing the batteries from the remote - no difference.

- I have another Express+ in another room, so I tried the questionable remote on that unit, and it worked. I tried the other unit's remote on this Express+, and it didn't work either. So the issue is the Roku and not the remote.

- I tried my remote on my phone, and that works, but that doesn't use IR. Something is wrong with the IR. I bought this Express+ last Thanksgiving, so it is under warranty.

Update: now the scrolling is happening with my phone remote too. Or if I click the arrow to move to the next channel, it selects the channel too without me clicking OK.

2nd update 2h later: I tried it again just a little ago after the program finished (using my phone remote), and now it is working again. Not sure if that means it is flaking out and showing inconsistent behavior as it does, or if it was just an anomaly. We'll see as I keep using it. 

Is there anything else I should try before I exchange it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: IR working inconsistently in Express+

Check the room for other remotes stuck in a cushion or under a book? Sounds like IR interference some other source?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks. I use a universal for everything else, so that wasn't it.

I tried it again just a little ago after the program finished (using my phone remote), and now it is working again. Not sure if that means it is flaking out and showing inconsistent behavior as it does, or if it was just an anomaly. We'll see as I keep using it.

0 Kudos
Level 16

There may be other infrared sources in that room causing interference.  For instance was there a fluorescent lightbulb on when you had the problem that was not on when the problem went away?

To see if this is the cause, block the IR receiver on the Roku while the problem is occurring, or just put a wash cloth or something over the whole thing, and see if the problem stops.

One time I had a similar problem with the IR control on a stereo receiver.  I never could figure out the source of the interference, but I made a little cardboard "tunnel" and taped it to the front of the receiver, surrounding the IR receiver and pointed toward my usual chair, and all the problems went away.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos