Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hoostt
Channel Surfer

IR Remote - automatically goes to Sling and stays stuck on that screen

Jump to solution

This morning, I turned on the TV using Roku Express, used the Roku remote and the screen automatically goes to Sling app and stays stuck there. I reset the Roku, took batteries out, tried it again and once the batteries go in, same result - just goes to the Sling app and stays stuck. Please advise how to fix this. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: IR Remote - automatically goes to Sling and stays stuck on that screen

Jump to solution

@hoostt 

Thanks for the information.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
55 REPLIES 55
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Does your remote have a shortcut button for Sling?  Is it stuck?  Try pulling up on it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
hoostt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Good idea. I took a look at that, I don't think that's the issue.  So frustrating. I rarely use this device, but started to more with the pandemic, and now it doesn't work.  I really hope Roku responds to this with a solution soon.

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Take the batteries out of the remote or take in to another room away from tv. Unplug the roku for bit, then plug it back in, and see if it goes to the sling app on it own without the remote in sight?

Edmund

0 Kudos
hoostt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just tried that, Roku goes to home screen when i do that. Once i bring the remote in range, it goes to Sling and stays there no matter what i press on the remote.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Bad remote, you can get a cheap universal to replace it at target, walmart or the dollar store. Roku sells the simple roku remote for $14.99, but a universal remote would control the tv as well.

You can try strumming the remote keys from left to right, and then from right to left to release the key if its stuck. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
hoostt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks, but Roku should send me a replacement. If I don't hear from Roku directly I'm done with them forever.  DIY community help is fine, but you can't compete on defective produces and no support. 

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

You sure expect alot for your $30. Roku isn't Tivo or Directv where pay boatload of money upfront and pay monthly for service for the rest of the devices life. You paid roku $30 for the roku and its remote, roku gets nothing else at of you for the rest of the roku device life. Get a grip, replace the **bleep** remote yourself!!

Edmund

0 Kudos
hoostt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You nailed it!  That's my point - they compete on price, if the remote's not gonna work, i'll just use Chromecast or Firestick.  Why keep buying remotes? 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@hoostt 

Thanks for the information.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos