Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justinford
Level 7

I recently bought a Roku SE at Walmart, and now it does not work.

I recently purchased a Roku SE from Walmart, and it worked perfectly fine for the first couple of days but now it does not. I have replaced the batteries in my remote, I have checked to make sure that my remote is sending an infrared signal. My receiver is not picking up the signal from my remote and I am starting to get irritated because I have wasted almost 50 dollars on this god forsaken equipment for it to not work at all. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: I recently bought a Roku SE at Walmart, and now it does not work.

You can factory reset it:  https://support.roku.com/article/208757008

Or, return it to Walmart and get another device/model.

0 Kudos
justinford
Level 7

I did a factory reset and the light on the receiver blinks and then double blinks. Still doesn't work

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

I've checked all the docs I can find, and the Roku SE is a 2013 player, also known as the Roku 1, model 2710. If this is truly what you just purchased, there's no way it should have been anywhere near $50. 

First, let's see if we can determine exactly what player you have. If your Roku is still connected to the network, you can use the Roku app on a phone or tablet and control the Roku. Then you can enter the Settings/System/About menu and see what model number player you have. If that doesn't work, look on the bottom of the Roku to see if the model number is embossed into the case. Also look at the back and tell us what sort of connections are available. Is there just a power and HDMI connection, or are there additional connections, such as an Ethernet jack and analog video outputs? 

To determine if your remote is emitting IR, did you view the broadcast end through a digital camera while pressing a button? Does the remote have a button with a microphone icon on it? If so, it's not an IR remote, and must be paired with the Roku. But I don't know if the model 2710 supported a WiFi remote. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@atc98092 wrote:

I've checked all the docs I can find, and the Roku SE is a 2013 player, also known as the Roku 1, model 2710. If this is truly what you just purchased, there's no way it should have been anywhere near $50. 

First, let's see if we can determine exactly what player you have. If your Roku is still connected to the network, you can use the Roku app on a phone or tablet and control the Roku. Then you can enter the Settings/System/About menu and see what model number player you have. If that doesn't work, look on the bottom of the Roku to see if the model number is embossed into the case. Also look at the back and tell us what sort of connections are available. Is there just a power and HDMI connection, or are there additional connections, such as an Ethernet jack and analog video outputs? 

To determine if your remote is emitting IR, did you view the broadcast end through a digital camera while pressing a button? Does the remote have a button with a microphone icon on it? If so, it's not an IR remote, and must be paired with the Roku. But I don't know if the model 2710 supported a WiFi remote. 

We covered this before, but its a 3930SE:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-SE-Streaming-Media-Player/978777004

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-SE-2020-Model/190071131

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

I really hate the way they reuse names. The 3930 is listed on the developers documents as an Express. Why give them the name of something so ancient? Yeah, I remember you mentioning that now. Sorry, getting old and don't always remember everything. Smiley Tongue

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
justinford
Level 7

So i bought a new remote and a couple of cords, because i live in a dorm at the moment and i'm required to connect to internet through a wired connection. My roku has an hdmi port and a power port. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@justinford wrote:

So I bought a new remote and a couple of cords, because I live in a dorm at the moment and I'm required to connect to internet through a wired connection. My Roku has an HDMI port and a power port. 

There's no way to add a wired connection to your Roku SE. The only current Roku player with one is the Ultra. They have just announced some new players coming out later this month that will support adding a USB Ethernet connection to the existing USB power port, but that won't work on your version. 

What you can do with a wired connection in your dorm is to buy an inexpensive router and create your own WiFi network. I carry a small one with me when I travel for the rare hotel that has a wired connection. 

Dan
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@atc98092 wrote:

I really hate the way they reuse names. The 3930 is listed on the developers documents as an Express. Why give them the name of something so ancient? Yeah, I remember you mentioning that now. Sorry, getting old and don't always remember everything. Smiley Tongue

It really is bad, almost as bad (or perhaps worse than) as Microsoft - perhaps they modeled (pun intended) themselves after them...

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@justinford

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

We would be happy to look into the issue for you. Can you please provide us with your serial number/device ID on the Roku device?

In addition, can you please provide further clarification of how you are connecting your Roku device? Are you connecting the device to a receiver or are you referring to the device as the "receiver". If you are using an AVR, have you tried to bypass your receiver or set it to passthrough to see if are you still experiencing the same issue? Can you also provide us with your receiver brand and model? With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos