Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: I can't program the remote's TV power and volume buttons with the TCL Roku TV software

"Hypersonic" wrote:
The TCL 55R615 TV included a weak IR remote that barely works with a soundbar placed in front of it. I paired the TV with a different Roku remote, but the TCL Roku TV settings do not include an option for "setup remote for TV control." How am I suppose to program the TV volume and power buttons without this option? The only way that I can program these buttons is by using a Roku stick. There should be an easier way.

I had the same issue with TCL Roku Infrared Remote and a Soundbar blocking the direct line of sight to IR receiver on the TCL set. I found a simple and low cost solution was to add an IR Extender / Repeater and still use the remote that came with the set. It allows you to place the RECEIVER portion of the extender to the left or right of your soundbar for direct line of sight from anywhere and place the REPEATER portion of the extender under the TCL IR receiver that is in the middle of your TV and behind your soundbar. Simple low cost solution that gives me great response from the TCL Infrared Remote. See link below as an example.

IR Extender / Repeater Solution
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: I can't program the remote's TV power and volume buttons with the TCL Roku TV software

I am aware of that solution, but it requires another cable. I would rather just replace the remote.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I programmed the TV power and volume buttons using the Roku stick which worked with the TV and soundbar. However, when I went to pair the remote with the TV, it was successfully paired, but then the TV power and volume buttons no longer worked again with the soundbar. The buttons only work with the TV, but not the soundbar. I could not program the soundbar to accept the signals from the Roku remote while it was paired to the TV.

I decided to exchange the soundbar with another one that has HDMI ARC support. The problem is solved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

The problem is that Roku makes some stupid decision to deactivate the IR as soon as it pairs by RF with the TV. Rather than allow the IR to be reactivated to allow you the ability to control other devices, such as a soundbar that can learn the IR, Roku would rather try to up-sell you to one of their soundbars.

This is dumb. Just activate the IR Roku.

Or, you do what you did an waste money getting another soundbar.

0 Kudos