Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sherri77

I am having problems with my Roku remote and tv

I cannot power off, on, turn up or anything with my remote. I have to manually turn off my tv and then it may work for a 1 minute. I don't know if it's the tv or the remote. I am disabled so it's a hassle for me. Can somebody please help me?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I am having problems with my Roku remote and tv

@Sherri77 

Not all TVs are supported by Roku remotes. Many many many TVs are. I've never had one that wasn't, but some have encountered this.

Remotes can control TVs two different ways. Some TVs support CEC very well, and using the remote to send On/Off and Volume commands to the Roku which will then try control the TV via CEC.

The remote can also send IR commands to the TV, which can be problematic since many TV manufacturers can use more than one code set. That is, one model of a brand can have a different code set than a different model from the same brand. And the codes can be similar, meaning some of the control codes are the same, but one or others may be different.

If as is, the remote won't control the TV, reconfigure the remote via the menu system. Note that you do NOT have to re-pair the remote. If it's controlling the Roku, it's paired.

Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > [something] (in use) > Set up remote for TV control

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos