Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mafokken
Channel Surfer

I Want to Stop my Enhanced Roku Remote from Turning on TV and Controlling Volume

I have a new roku stick +

I want to unsync the enhanced remote from controlling the tv power and volume.

Honestly if I could just stop it from controlling the volume, that would be the best scenario. But since the controlling of TV power is also connected to the controlling of TV volume, let's just stop both.

I only want the remote to control the roku. I no longer want it to control the TV volume and power.

I tried unpairing and re-pairing.

I tried turning off the TVs CEC.

I tried changing the TV model in the Remotes & Devices menu, but there isn't that option.

I tried checking and unchecking "1-Touch Play"

I would be so grateful for your help. Thank you.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I Want to Stop my Enhanced Roku Remote from Turning on TV and Controlling Volume

Go into settings to remote in use, program tv, when it asks if the music is playing click yes, if the music stops in the next step click no, lie to it, keep clicking no until it really doesn't mute the music then click yes. and exit the settings. You remote shouldn't be controlling your tv anymore. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
mafokken
Channel Surfer

Re: I Want to Stop my Enhanced Roku Remote from Turning on TV and Controlling Volume

That didn't work. Thank you though.

0 Kudos
akfrosty

Can the Power and Volume buttons be disabled?

Can the power on button and the volume/mute buttons be disabled?  I received my new Roku Ultra and finally got it set up, but when I scroll through the apps my hand hits the mute button.  Even going through the tv  guide on some of the apps my hand will hit the mute button.  Would have been better if it was higher on the side.  I would just like to disable them if it is possible. The old Ultra did not have the mute button so  no problem with it.

makaiguy

Re: Can the Power and Volume buttons be disabled?

You would need to un-pair your remote.  I know how to re-pair, but not how to un-pair.  Anybody?

As a fallback, the volume/mute/power signals are sent to the tv via line of sight IR signals.  If you block the IR emitter at the top end of the remote with some black electrical tape it should do what you want.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
mafokken
Channel Surfer

Still no luck.

0 Kudos
mafokken
Channel Surfer

How to un-pair a remote? So it no longer controls the power on/off and volume of the TV. See the first post, because I've already tried all those things. And I tried lying to the Roku, but that didn't work either.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

I have 4670 ultra with a enhanced voice remote, it was controlling my tv, I went into settings> remote & devices> remote in use> program tv> the music started to play, I click yes its playing, the music went off but I said no couple of times, then I hit yes and exited back to home screen. Remote no longer controlled the tv, did it again and said yes on the first try when the music stopped and remote controlled by tv again. I did the couple time back and forth it worked each time. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Mtbrain

Just something to add for those of you that can't get this solution to work. I tried this and it finally worked for me. I noticed that each time I said no to the music turning off the remote tried a different code (watch what it says on your TV screen right after you press "no" on the remote). It said something like "trying code 1","trying code 2" and so on. I kept trying the whole process  over and over until it finally chose a code that didn't controI my tv. Now I  can press the power button and nothing happens. Apparently the remote is trying different codes it has  on file for your TV and some of them work while some of them don't. You just have to find the one that doesn't work. I finally got to where it said trying code 5 and that was the one that didn't work for me. Now my remote cannot control my TV or volume. Thank you for the tip it worked great.

0 Kudos
tgass

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Go into settings to remote in use, program tv, when it asks if the music is playing click yes, if the music stops in the next step click no, lie to it, keep clicking no until it really doesn't mute the music then click yes. and exit the settings. You remote shouldn't be controlling your tv anymore. 

Thank you! This worked!

0 Kudos