Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bixler1
Reel Rookie

How to use the Roku smart sound bar remote instead of the Roku IR tv remote

Jump to solution

I would like to use the remote that came with my Roku smart sound bar. When we hooked up the sound bar to our Hisense Roku tv it walked us through all the steps automatically but did not give us the option to use the new voice remote. Our tv uses the IR remote. Is there anyway to use the voice remote that came with the sound bar?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to use the Roku smart sound bar remote instead of the Roku IR tv remote

Jump to solution

Once you do it, you will have two remotes that control the roku tv and none that codes the soundbar accept by hdmi-cec for the audio. The reason you didn't have to program the remote for your tv is it control all makes of tv brands with same hdmi-cec commands for tv power, volume, and mute. If you keep the soundbar remote paired to the soundbar, then everytime you press a key it will switch fron the tv home screen to soundbar hone screen. Meaning no input tiles. 

If you just want to soundbar for better sound from your roku tv, and use the apps on the roku tv, then do what I posted in my first post. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Sure, using the Roku tv IR remote go into settings> remote & devices> pair new device> pick remote> continue> now press and hold the pairing button in the battery compartment of the Soundbar remote for 3 seconds and release, let it communicate with roku tv, it is alright if the light goes out don't touch anything until you get a big DONE on screen. 

Edmund

Bixler1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you I will give it a try. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Once you do it, you will have two remotes that control the roku tv and none that codes the soundbar accept by hdmi-cec for the audio. The reason you didn't have to program the remote for your tv is it control all makes of tv brands with same hdmi-cec commands for tv power, volume, and mute. If you keep the soundbar remote paired to the soundbar, then everytime you press a key it will switch fron the tv home screen to soundbar hone screen. Meaning no input tiles. 

If you just want to soundbar for better sound from your roku tv, and use the apps on the roku tv, then do what I posted in my first post. 

Edmund

0 Kudos