Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimB3
Level 7

How to stop Roku remote from controling TV?

I have Roku Express (model 3930X) connected to a 39" TV in my bedroom. Separately, I have a PC in the corner that I am using a 24" LG TV as the monitor (model 24LB4510). Oddly, the Roku remote turns on the LG TV/monnitor when the up or down arrows are pressed. No other buttons on the Roku seem to register with the LG TV/monitor, just the up and down arrows and they only turn it on, not off. This is troubling because I want the LG TV/Monitor off at night while watching the Roku on the 39" TV but every time I navigate the LG TV/Monitor comes back on. Suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: How to stop Roku remote from controling TV?

If the IR protocol of the code set used by the Roku and tv are so similar there's nothing you can do to stop Roku IR remote from controlling the tv. But you can abandon the IR Roku remote and get wifi Roku remote then you won't have this trouble. 

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-RCAL7R-Voice-Remote-New/dp/B07WVFCKSS/ref=pd_ybh_a_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=...

Edmund
JimB3
Level 7

Thanks. I was thinking that too, unfortunately. I use to have some of these wifi Roku remotes with older Roku's I had. They worked fine but they seemed to produce their own wifi signal (own SSID vs using the home wifi the Roku itself is connected to) so I noticed my home clouded with Roku remote signals. I have this thing about wifi devices broadcasting too close to my body at night so hated the idea of this being in the bed. In addition, it clogged up available wifi channels. Do you know if these replacement remotes work the same?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

It puts up DIRECT-roku on your list of local network but it is completely harmless. Its just remote communicating with the roku its paired with. You picked a model of roku that can only be used by a wifi internet network, if got the Ultra with a ethernet port you do a way with that stream, and replace it with one the remote needs. Smiley Happy

Edmund
0 Kudos