Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku streaming stick+ draining batteries

Jump to solution

@rohitprajapati5 wrote:
... Roku can't just make old devices stop working so that they can sell new devices....

They probably could, but they don't. I have lots of old devices, including older Voice Remotes, that work well.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Avaya
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rohitprajapati5  No company supports products for a lifetime. Apple, Google, Microsoft and more phase out older products all the time. I had a 3810. After Roku OS 11 it was acting odd.  But I also bought it 4 years ago. So I though it out and bought a 3820. Problem solved. 

0 Kudos
rohitprajapati5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Avaya ,

Each and every update should be backward compatible. If the company releases new devices/softwares, it should not break the old ones.

I totally understand about warranty. No devices support lifetime warranty. but this is more about backward compatibility.

If the device is not physically damaged, it should keep working.

Thanks.

Avaya
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rohitprajapati5  How long ago did your purchase your Roku Stick? And no not everything has to be backward compatible. Your only talking about a $40 device. When Microsoft stopped supporting XP and millions of users had computers the were not Windows 7 compatible they all had to buy new computers. Your talking $800+. Roku OS 11 did not make your remote batteries drain. That is a merely coincidence. Roku devices usually last 3-5 years. 

0 Kudos
gumorenos
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello

The support team sent me an email asking for my contact information in order to send a replacement remote, but it never arrived. I sent messages following up but I never got a reply.

0 Kudos
Sherylt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

These Roku reps are RUDE!! The replies to our problems are ignorant & unacceptable!! It shouldn't matter what price I paid, it should matter that we can't get a resolution to the battery issue!! 

0 Kudos
Sherylt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

From what I've read, these ROKU reps are NOT EXPERTS on anything but rudeness!! They are obviously ignoring the battery usage issue & don't care to offer an acceptable resolution!! ROKU SUCKS!! 

0 Kudos
rohitprajapati5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Sherylt Agreed.

I am sure Roku team is aware of this issue very well but they are not working to get this fixed. 

@Avaya This is not about $40 . You keep buying as many remotes you want. I posted the query here to find a resolution to the remote battery issue if someone already knew. and for Roku team awareness.

Avaya
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rohitprajapati5  I have owned several Roku players and TVs. Never had one issue with any remotes. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Sherylt wrote:

These Roku reps are RUDE!! The replies to our problems are ignorant & unacceptable!! It shouldn't matter what price I paid, it should matter that we can't get a resolution to the battery issue!! 

Which Roku reps are you talking about? I suspect you're talking about a user, basically a troll, that creates new user accounts every week or two, and engages in flippant, unhelpful, arrogant, and [insert unpleasant characteristic here] behavior.

The only Roku people here are the ones with Roku in the username. Look at my signature. I don't work for Roku. But, I do know a lot about Roku and can help with some issues. There are several "Experts" that you will see here, but you generally won't find them being unhelpful. They will do their best to be helpful. But again, they don't work for Roku. The are users like you who will do what they can, but will call in Roku personnel if things aren't going well.

Ignore the trolls. Every board has them. Don't engage them. If you have a difficult time ignoring them, do a Web search for the phrase "chess pigeon" and see if that imagery helps, because it's an accurate description of them.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos