Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GRAHAM459
Reel Rookie

Roku remote batteries require changing daily

Jump to solution

I am having to change the batteries in my Roku remote control daily, I have the Roku streaming stick model 3810EU, I don't have any other devices attached which could cause this issue.

0 Kudos
Plaub
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku replacement remote

Jump to solution

How is this not fixed yet?!?

RC399 rtn 4092. Batteries completely dead in less than 2 weeks. Roku should send everyone complaining of this a case of batteries. I have no issues with my Chromecast w/ Google TV. Only wish I had gotten 2 of them instead of the Roku Stick. 

Very disappointed with Roku. 

Tixman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Update.  USB TV powered has lost 7% battery in 4 days since applied fix.  AC powered stick has lost 1%.  Will keep monitoring but appears we have slowed the drain but not solved the issue yet.

SRQtech
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Tixman 

That's pretty much been my experience, also. I'll add that the stick powered by the TV is actually used much less than the wall powered stick, but still suffers greater battery loss. Seems like there is still work too be done by the Roku Engineers.

0 Kudos
rjabend
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Just an update: I replaced my two Streaming Stick+s with Roku 2020 Ultras and the remote batteries have been at 100% for two days of heavy use. They are also a lot faster to start-up and generally work better and quicker than the Streaming Stick+. The only disadvantage is that they have to be plugged in to an AC outlet which is not really a problem.

0 Kudos
V_Baker
Reel Rookie

Remote Draining Batteries

Jump to solution

The remote for my Roku 4K Streaming Stick needs replacement batteries every week. I have owned a Roku previously and never had this issue. We don't watch enough TV for this to be happening 

I have not been able to find out why or any solutions?

Does anyone have suggestions? 

0 Kudos
Rugro
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku remote batteries require changing daily

Jump to solution

I only had success after I went into the hidden menu and forced the remote to update its software.  It went from losing about 10 to 15% a day to now holding 100% for four days.

0 Kudos
GRAHAM459
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks Rugro, I’ll give that a try.

0 Kudos
yawitz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yesterday I went to use my Roku and the remote had gone from 35% to 0% overnight (unused, but with the stick powered). I tried a new set of batteries, and found that the firmware was updated yet again (to rtn.4098 from rtn.4092). Perhaps the act of updating the firmware caused it to drain. In any case, I'm still leaving the stick plugged in for now, and the remote is holding at 100% for a couple of days. (Before this update it was still draining 1-2% a day while the stick was powered.)

If it continues to hold near 100%, I'll try unplugging the stick to see if this latest firmware update fixed things for good.

0 Kudos
yawitz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

UPDATE: I've been tracking battery drain over the last week, with the stick still plugged in. (Small steps for now.) Since the update to rtn.4098, battery drain is much improved, but still not what I'd consider "normal". With about 1 hour of use a day, and otherwise left idle overnight, I'm still seeing 1% battery loss per day. Interestingly, the battery level stays constant at the start and end of that hour, but when checked the next day, 1% loss is seen. (What could it possibly be doing sitting on a shelf overnight?)

So at this rate a set off batteries would last about 3 months. Not horrible, but certainly worse than I've seen with other device remotes (including those with wireless, not IR, links, such as my TiVo). Is this still considered normal for Roku remotes?

@yawitz wrote:

Yesterday I went to use my Roku and the remote had gone from 35% to 0% overnight (unused, but with the stick powered). I tried a new set of batteries, and found that the firmware was updated yet again (to rtn.4098 from rtn.4092). Perhaps the act of updating the firmware caused it to drain. In any case, I'm still leaving the stick plugged in for now, and the remote is holding at 100% for a couple of days. (Before this update it was still draining 1-2% a day while the stick was powered.)

If it continues to hold near 100%, I'll try unplugging the stick to see if this latest firmware update fixed things for good.

0 Kudos