Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Master_Kim
Reel Rookie

How to disable the remote controlling the power of TV and receiver?

I need the Roku remote not to be able to turn on and off the TV and receiver.

Well, I want the Roku remote to be used only for Roku.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to disable the remote controlling the power of TV and receiver?

@Master_Kim 

Hmmm. That's not how it's usually done, but let's see if we can figure this out. There's no standard process for that.

Here's a thought that you may want to try. Go through the process to configure the remote to work with a TV. When you get to the point where it asks the brand, pick one that's not your brand, When it asks if the volume works, tell it yes if it doesn't, and no if it does.

Essentially, you'll configure it for a TV, just not that TV.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

I have tried this with several other brands; I tell it no music  and music did not stop - get teh message roku won't control this brand tv but it leaves the old tv type in place and keeps controlling my tv

0 Kudos

I found one that  stops the control -I  used sony and told it things were working; so it switched to sony control.  now power button on remote seems to do nothing; it  does not turn off the roku or the TV.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

@StreamingNuB wrote:

I tell it no music  and music did not stop - get teh message roku won't control this brand tv but it leaves the old tv type in place and keeps controlling my tv

The trick is to tell it the music DID stop. (Even though it didn't.) 

0 Kudos