Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How to control volume with RC99 remote on 4640X Ultra

I am trying to control the Samsung TV volume with my model RC99 remote on a Ultra model 4640X. When I go to the Set up remote for TV control function, it says the current remote does not support TV control.  Really?  What is the volume control on the side of the Roku remote for?  Could I purchase a newer remote to replace the one I have to control the TV?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: How to control volume with RC99 remote on 4640X Ultra

The first generation of ultra didn't have tv control, no IR control built-in like later remotes. It did have volume keys to control the volume of the headphone jack. It might control the volume hdmi-cec, go into the Samsung menu and refresh the cec devices connected to it. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So I assume getting a new remote will not solve the problem since the U,tra does not have the capability to do so?  Funny, when I press the home key with the TV off, it turns on!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

No, a new remote would work just fine with your model of ultra, and for the tv controls as well. Its just the original remotes that's the problem, it just doesn't work for feature that wasn't around when it was manufactured. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Is this a remote that has a headphone jack on the left side? If so, that's what the volume controls are for.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

That sounds like a plan.  Right now, you have to grab a different remote to control the volume.  Actually, I would be using it with a Sonos sound bar, but I assume the would work okay with a new remote.  I did not realize this remote did not have IR capability.

Thank you for all the help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you, Edmund.  Appreciate the help.  I will get a new remote.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you.  I found out that is correct, just for the headphone jack.  Oh well!  I have a variety of Roku products, of different vintages, and it can get confusing, as the others with volume controls adjust the TV just fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

All roku remotes that have tv controls, only control the tv's, it would be up to the tv to control your sonos via hdmi-cec. 

Edmund
0 Kudos