Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Orange99

Can’t setup Roku remote without WiFi.

Jump to solution

So I’ve ran into a problem I’m sure no one else has. I need to connect my Roku Tv to WiFi so I can link the mobile app but I can’t due to some buttons on my remote not working. I’ve thought of getting a new remote but I’ve found out in order for you to link a new remote you NEED WIFI.  Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t setup Roku remote without WiFi.

Jump to solution

You don't need Wi-Fi for the remote to work and as long as your Roku device isn't a stick that plugs directly into the TV without an HDMI cable you can get away with a cheap universal remote as long as it supports Roku.  Roku voice remotes use Wi-Fi direct which, as the name implies, is a direct connection from the remote to the Roku device without the need for being connected to your Wi-Fi.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
pamscruises
Reel Rookie

Re: No wifi + no remote = no television

Jump to solution

You keep reply the same thing about the remote.  We have a Roku TV that we have lost the Remote.  How do we buy another one.  Our TV is a Roku TV that the remote was lost.  We can not use this TV with out the Remote.  You can not call anyone at Roku.  We will certainly will not buy another Roku TV since you can not talk to a human about any problems and now our TV is useless.  Please someone help us.  

Thanks

Pamscruises 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: No wifi + no remote = no television

Jump to solution

Hi @pamscruises,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I understand that you lost your Roku remote for your Roku TV. In this case, we recommend contacting your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 
If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV
You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv 

We appreciate your patience with this matter!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
SammyC260

Don’t have a remote for new device

Jump to solution

I have a roku device that has to plug into a tv via hdmi. not a roku tv. I have yet to set this up on my new network since i moved, and I do not have a remote since I have a smartphone. Since the device is not on wifi, it will not allow me to connect to it, to use the remote. And since i don’t have the remote, I can’t go to the settings on the tv. Is there anyway around this???

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Don’t have a remote for new device

Jump to solution

No, there's no way around it. You have to have a remote to connect the Roku to the network before you can use the app on your phone.

Now even worse potential news: if your Roku is the purple Stick (plugs directly into the TV without a cable), you can no longer get a new remote from Roku. And while you might find a remote on eBay, it would likely cost almost as much as buying a brand new Roku which will work far better than an old Stick.

If it's a black Stick, a new remote is available for $20. If it's a Roku that uses an HDMI cable to connect to the TV, then you can use an inexpensive universal IR remote (many under $10) that supports Roku IR codes. But no version of the Roku Stick (again, if it connects to the TV without a cable) supports IR remotes. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TexOkie
Reel Rookie

Re: Don’t have a remote for new device

Jump to solution

Or for about $50 you can go by your local Walmart and pick up a Roku Ultra LT that has a wireless and an Ethernet connection. If your router is close to your TV, you can hard wire it in and forget all those wireless headaches. It also comes with the nice voice remote that has the earbuds. It’s the best Roku deal out there. Plus there is a $5 Vudu coupon in the box to sweeten the deal. 

0 Kudos
Laurenahan

Re: Connecting to wifi without remote

Jump to solution

BRAVO! option 3 is brilliant! 👏 

We are up in the mountains and forgot the remote. We followed your steps and SUCCESS!

Thank you for sharing this.  We will be watching movies and toasting spiked hot chocolate to makaiguy!

0 Kudos
Magnolia14

Re: Connecting to wifi without remote

Jump to solution

Can it be done with a TCL RokuTV Model #49S325? 

0 Kudos
Waahiven
Reel Rookie

Re: No remote and not connected to wife

Jump to solution

I'm still hoping for an answer for this. I have the original purple stick, no wifi connected and no remote. Is it trash?

0 Kudos