Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrMustard777
Level 7

How invasive is the voice remote, and can it be turned off?

Jump to solution

Dear Community, we are debating replacing our older Roku with a new one, we love Roku!  However it looks like they now feature voice activated remotes.  I'm sure this is a selling point for some but I have privacy concerns.  Does anybody know if this thing is listening the way your typical smart speaker does (meaning that recordings of your voice are uploaded through the internet to a company's servers)?  Or does it just control the Roku device locally and what you say is not sent up to the mothership and kept forever?  I have just updated my voice preferences to "off" under settings here on the Roku site so I think it gets sent up via the internet but just checking.  Also how easily can voice activation be turned off and does it stay off? 

To each their own but I personally think the phones are effective enough at reducing our privacy to almost zero.  Why bring another listening device into your living room or bedroom? Is it really that hard to operate a remote?  Thanks, -Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: How invasive is the voice remote, and can it be turned off?

Jump to solution

Roku does not have a voice active remote, they have remote with voice search key, you have to press and speak to enable it. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Jump to solution

Roku does not have a voice active remote, they have remote with voice search key, you have to press and speak to enable it. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

And not all Roku players come with the voice remote. My Premiere only came with an IR remote, which doesn't have voice capability. Every Roku other than the Sticks support an IR remote, so even if you buy one with a voice remote, you can buy an IR remote, take the batteries out of the voice remote, and have no concerns. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
MrMustard777
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ok thanks to you both. 

0 Kudos