Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dragon777
Level 8

How do I turn Volume On and Off

Jump to solution

I am a new subscriber to Roku.   It installed successfully.   And I had sound.   I wanted to adjust volume.   I went to audio and selected HIGH.    Maybe I hit another button by mistake, but my audio is set on HIGH.   There is probably a simply setting I am unaware of where I can just hit "on" to turn my audio back on.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dragon777
Level 8

Re: How do I turn Volume On and Off

Jump to solution

WOW, to everyone who had ideas and helped out, a huge THANK YOU and KUDOS.   Ed, the reset worked.  I now have sound.  I don't know what the problem was, but the reset fixed it.

Sending virtual wine and cheese to everyone.   Thanks guys and gals.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

A Roku player (not a Roku TV) has no volume control. What you probably set is the level of the beeps the Roku makes when you press a remote button. It's labeled Menu volume under Settings/Audio. But that doesn't change the audio of any other sound that comes from the Roku. You use your TV volume control for that. 

By the way, there is no subscription to use a Roku. Yes, there are channels that require a subscription, but not for the Roku itself, or for a Roku user account. I mention that because scammers trick people into thinking they have to pay a subscription fee for your Roku, which is not true. So I hope you didn't mean you are paying a subscription for your Roku.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dragon777
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks Dan, but still no success.   This is probably something so simple.   I adjusted the volume on my TV....but it does not seem to impact anything.   Maybe it would impact my sound if I could get it to go on.  But still no sound whatsoever.  Any further suggestions?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Jump to solution

What is the name and model number of your roku? Is it a Roku tv, a Roku stick, or a Roku console? 

Edmund
0 Kudos
dragon777
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am guessing it is a ROKU TV.   Doesn't seem to say anywhere that I can see.

Also, is there a ROKU Paid Tech Support?    I am willing to pay to get this thing working.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Jump to solution

Its an actual TV? With a screen? You can't hold it in one hand? 

Edmund
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@dragon777 wrote:

Thanks Dan, but still no success.   This is probably something so simple.   I adjusted the volume on my TV....but it does not seem to impact anything.   Maybe it would impact my sound if I could get it to go on.  But still no sound whatsoever.  Any further suggestions?

SO it is the sound you're hearing from the TV speakers from something that is playing on the Roku, right? Again, a Roku player (Stick or box) has no internal volume control. Some of the newest Roku players have a remote with a volume control on the side, but all that does is control the volume of the TV and requires configuration to work with your TV.

Do you have a soundbar or AV receiver that is controlling your sound?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@dragon777 wrote:

I am guessing it is a ROKU TV.   Doesn't seem to say anywhere that I can see.

Also, is there a ROKU Paid Tech Support?    I am willing to pay to get this thing working.

OK, if it's a Roku TV, use the volume buttons on the remote to turn the sound up and down. Most likely the remote is IR based, so the remote has to be able to see the receiver window on the TV. Those are usually in the bottom left corner of the TV, but could vary. Make sure the remote has a clear line to the TV.

No, Roku offers no paid support. And any place you find online offering support is likely a scam site, so I wouldn't trust any of them.

Dan
0 Kudos
dragon777
Level 8

Jump to solution

I tried using the controls on the top of my TV.   The volume level button enables me to move the "volume" up and down, but still no sound.   There is no "mute" button that I can find, and my old remote doesn't do anything.   This is very frustrating for this "old man."   LOL.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Jump to solution

If its a true Roku tv, try the following:

With roku remote hit HOME key> scroll up to settings> system> scroll down to Advanced system settins> Factory reset> click reset audio & picture settings> follow prompts

Edmund