Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How do I reset a standard IR remote that doesnt have a pairing button?

My standard remote hasnt worked from day 1,  can I reset it without a pairing button, will Roku replace it for free?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: How do I reset a standard IR remote that doesnt have a pairing button?

What model of Roku are you trying to use it with? A infrared Roku remote won't work with Roku sticks, so if you're attempting that, it won't work.

There's no reset for IR remotes. They either work or they don't. Make sure your IR sensor isn't blocked on your Roku box.

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I’m in the same boat. Sick of buying stuff that doesn’t work. And I can’t even return or exchange because of this situation and of course there’s nobody on the support lines here. Idk what to do either and i just want to watch my shows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Killersmiley999 

Can you please clarify the situation that you are experiencing?

What Roku device model do you have?

Please be aware that IR remotes do not need to be reset and work through line of sight. For more information about the type of remotes that work with Roku device, visit our Support page here: What type of remote control does my Roku® device use?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I bought the roku express that came with the basic IR remote. Nothing worked, couldn’t setup roku at all and the only thing I could do was buy a new remote. Can’t return the roku or the defective remote because of this situation nonsense, target wont do returns or exchanges until the 16th. Worse part is, I didn’t even want the roku, I wanted a firestick. So I get this and I’m very disappointed and pretty pissed that the best suggestion from your company is to “purchase a new remote from our accessories”. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Killersmiley999 

Thanks for the information.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps on our Support page here: How do I resolve problems with my Roku IR (infrared) remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

There is nothing to setup or pair with an IR remote. All you need is a direct line of sight between the remote and the Roku. You can't put the Roku behind the TV or anything else that blocks that sight line. 

You can test if an IR remote is working by viewing it though a digital camera (like a phone camera). Any time you press a button on the remote, you should see a light flash in the camera display.

If the light doesn't flash, there's three possible issues: the batteries are dead, the batteries are inserted incorrectly, or the remote is defective. The last is highly unlikely, but still possible. But check the battery orientation in the case. Some Roku remotes have them both pointing the same way, while others have one point up and the other down. Make sure it matches what the remote battery case shows. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

No light coming from it..I tried everything but that was 3 months ago..I threw it away and got the app downloaded to my sons room..I litterally have a roku on every TV and 2 Roku Tvs...one of which is going camping with us

0 Kudos