Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lisahs
Level 8

How do I pair my replacement IR remote to my ROKU 3?

I lost my original remote and so just ordered a new remote.  It's the standard IR version, nothing fancy.  Since it came with NO instructions, have no idea how to pair it to my existing ROKU 3. I pushed all the buttons just to see if anything happened, but no luck (of course, I inserted new batteries first).  I have AT&T Direct TV.  

7 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: How do I pair my replacement IR remote to my ROKU 3?

Where is the roku located? Is buried behind the tv since the original roku 3 remote was wifi it didn't need a line of sight to the roku, but an iR remote has to have clear sight to the front of the roku 3. And right if it is an IR remote you just have to put in batteries and will start to work without programming it. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Lisahs
Level 8

Hi. Thanks for the quick response.  There is a direct line of site.  When I put the batteries, there is a small, blinking, green light inside the battery section of the remote. However, when I push the power button on the remote, I don't see any other light go on, at the front of the remote

0 Kudos
Lisahs
Level 8

After I put the batteries in, I changed my "source" on my TV to ROKU, but the new remote does not have any effect on that screen

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

If you have a tv power and volume keys on the new roku remote it is either Roku tv remote or a Roku Wifi remote. A Roku tv remote will not control a Roku console at all. To check if its a wifi remote look for a pairing button in the battery compartment. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Lisahs
Level 8

there is only one thing that could be a pairing button in the battery compartment. It is right next to the little flashing green light.  I just tried pushing and holding it...does not seem to have had any impact

0 Kudos
Lisahs
Level 8

It was a little tiny button, BTW

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Unplug the power from the roku 3, then plug it back in when the roku is bouncing on-screen start to press and hold the pairing button on the remote, when it stops bouncing, release the pairing button for a sec and start pressing again until you get confirmation its paired. 

Edmund
0 Kudos