Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tv12

How do I know if my roku is compatible with a new remote?

Jump to solution

Looking to purchase a new remote with the volume controls on the remote.  The stats on the website say it may not be compatible with older roku express.  How do I know if my roku will work with a new remote?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: How do I know if my roku is compatible with a new remote?

Jump to solution

Partly depends if the TV correctly implements hdmi-cec, for e.g. voice remote pro.

Some universal remotes bypass the issue because they send the TV's codes direct to TV (may need to be "learned"). Oneforall 7935 is a good bet.  Some clone roku ir remotes also have volume controls with learning feature (cheap on eBay).

Onn branded Roku remote (not OnnTV) should also work (eBay, look for RC-ELIR model number).

Not a Roku employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Tv12-

What is the model number if your Express?  Settings > System > About will tell you, assuming you do have a working remote or Roku remote app on a mobile device available to control the Express.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Tv12

Jump to solution

3900RW

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Partly depends if the TV correctly implements hdmi-cec, for e.g. voice remote pro.

Some universal remotes bypass the issue because they send the TV's codes direct to TV (may need to be "learned"). Oneforall 7935 is a good bet.  Some clone roku ir remotes also have volume controls with learning feature (cheap on eBay).

Onn branded Roku remote (not OnnTV) should also work (eBay, look for RC-ELIR model number).

Not a Roku employee
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The 3900 express will pair with any voice remote. Will it control your tv that's big if, there's a bug that won't allow you to enter the tv brand, in that case it wouldn't control the tv. 

I would take @MilesT suggestion and get universal remote like 7935, it will control the Roku express by IR, and be programmable for your tv. One remoteP1010420 (2).JPG

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.