Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vbguyny
Reel Rookie

How do I disable voice commands?

Hello, I have the Roku Ultra and I don't want to have my kids to install channels without my knowing about it.  I have set a PIN for installing any new channels, however, my kids recently discovered by simply saying the channel name into the remotes search feature it will install the channel without prompting for a PIN!  For example, if they said "YouTube" it will be installed.

I would like to disable the voice feature since nobody in my household uses it for anything.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I disable voice commands?

Sorry there isn't a way to disable it, except stop using the original remote go with a roku IR remote or an aftermarket universal. I like the following One-for-all model pretty cheap on ebay for open box models.

Its one device that can control three types of devices, tv, streamer, and soundbar. Its learning remote so you teach the keys anything you what.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
SlabBulkhead
Binge Watcher

Doesn't seem to be a way. Wish there was a way to disable voice control though. I hate it sometimes. I got a Roku Ultra last year. Once & a while it would randomly acivate while holding the remote, fingers wouldn't be anywhere near the voice control button & for the record I don't have a ghost problem in my house far as I can tell. I think its just glitched & needs fixes in the firmware or something. Hopefuly they get to it in an OS update someday.

djkdlhsfjk4489
Reel Rookie

I'm a bit dismayed to see there's no way to disable this.  I have 3 Ultra's now and they all spontaneously drop into "voice command mode" with increasing frequency, interrupting whatever I'm watching and occasionally getting "stuck".  It's to the point I may need to find another solution.  A real shame.  There should _always_ be an option to disable voice.

Thanks for these articles though.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@djkdlhsfjk4489

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? Which device are you connecting to a voice remote that you are seeing this issue? Voice command can be disable through a switch on the Voice Remote Pro, and other remotes should be actively listening for voice commands, but rather require pressing of a button to issue a voice command.

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
vbguyny
Reel Rookie

I resolved the issues by using a 3rd party remote which doesn't have the voice search feature.

FJB2

Hit the * button 4 times. disable voice command

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@FJB2, that doesn't disable voice commands it disables the screen reader.  Two completely different things.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
ktjhw
Channel Surfer

#1. I think all voice control on all devices should be renamed Shout Control because inevitably we end up shouting and cussing at it.

#2. The microphone button is positioned just above the play/pause button so accidentally pressing it is common.

#3. Once the microphone button is pressed my Roku Premiere often gets hung in that mode and won't exit microphone mode except for pulling power and rebooting.

#4. Since I don't need or want the microphone I want to disable it so I can have confidence it is not constantly listening to me.  The only way I can is to pry it open and clip the leads to the microphone.

0 Kudos
ahuber86

This is only for the screen reader, not voice control.