Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaia
Level 8

How did Sketchy McSketcherson link his phone to my roku without my permission?

I asked this a while back and never really got a satisfactory answer and it's been bugging me ever since so  figured I'd give it another go. I have a super sketchy roommate who spends a lot of time lurking outside next to my bedroom window where I can't see him, like four hours at a time, and making no noise whatsoever. Fun times. And a while back I was watching something while using headphones and suddenly was kicked back to the homescreen and received the message "Sketchy McSketcherson's samsung sucessfully linked to this device", after which I heard him promptly come back inside. I'd like to think it was something his phone did automatically without his knowledge, but given what a creepy lurker he is, it's been hard for me to buy into this explanation. I've since shored up the security as much as possible in the settings and I haven't seen the notification again, but I just can't help but wonder both how he did that, what he had to gain from doing it, and if he still might have access to my account somehow. Does anybody have any insight into what might have occurred here? Many thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gauze
Level 7

Re: How did Sketchy McSketcherson link his phone to my roku without my permission?

i believe if you share the same wifi network it is assumed he is a trusted user and roku remote apps "just work". if he's not supposed to be on this network (you don't share wifi) you should have a talk.

Kaia
Level 8

Re: How did Sketchy McSketcherson link his phone to my roku without my permission?

Well as roommates we connect through the same router, I assume, I’m a little out of my depths right now. But I don’t have my roku connected through WiFi, I use an Ethernet cable. Plus we had this weird conversation once where I told him I used roku for everything and he was like, but mines wireless, which was weird because most rokus are wireless, like he already knew somehow that mine was hard wired. This was a while ago so it would be weird if I brought it up now, besides  if he was hacking my device I’m sure he’d just lie about it. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

I don't really think there's anything to hack.  About all he could do is cast videos or pictures to it and control it using an app as a remote control.  If you've turned all that stuff off via the various settings, then that's a good start.  I'd say get another router to act as a firewall and put it between your stuff and the common router, but I'm really not sure if Roku would play well with that kind of setup.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable about networks could chime in, but then you'd probably want to post in the Network - Wireless & Wired Connections section.

Kaia
Level 8

Interesting idea. My main concern besides how did he do it was what did he have access to so hearing that is comforting. I don’t know much about routers, is that like a box that I could plug my Ethernet cable into to differentiate my IP address or something and then all my devices would be connected with cables coming out of it? Is that the idea?

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Yeah, that's the idea.  You could get a "travel" router (or really any other router).  You'd plug the Ethernet cable you're currently plugging into your Roku into it and then plug your Roku into the new router.  The new router could also provide a wireless access point (AP) so you wouldn't necessarily have to use wired connections to the new router.  I've seen several posts here about how people use a travel router at hotels to get a wireless connection to their Roku, so it would probably work.  The only reason I say "probably" is because Rokus can be pretty finicky about their network connections.  I'd be more worried about your creepy roommate gaining access to your other devices like your phone or computer.  The problem with putting a router behind a router is something called double Natting.  It usually doesn't cause a problem, but it can.  However, it's a little out of the area of my expertise.  Setting up the new router may not quite be "plug and play", but I don't think it's too difficult.

0 Kudos