Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zalophus
Level 7

Headphones glitch

Ultra remote.  After unplugging my Ultra headphones, TV audio remains muted, and On/off button no longer works. Regular TV volume works fine. Resetting the ROKU device solves problem, until next time.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Headphones glitch

Known issue, Roku says they're working it. There's another long thread about it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
zalophus
Level 7

Thanks. Any idea if it's a remote problem, or streaming device hardware/firmware problem?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Most likely firmware.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 7

Roku messed a lot up with firmware 8.1. Looks like they need more QC but we know that not going to happen.
0 Kudos
zalophus
Level 7

I agree it's probably the firmware.  ROKU sent me a replacement remote, and it has the same problem. Time to explore Apple TV.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

"zalophus" wrote:
I agree it's probably the firmware.  ROKU sent me a replacement remote, and it has the same problem. Time to explore Apple TV.

Why, they don't have remote with headphone jack, so do without by using the roku instead.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"zalophus" wrote:

It's true that there have been no issues with headphones plugged into the remotes on Apple TV. But have you asked yourself why?

EDIT: Spoilers. See above.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
zalophus
Level 7

The point is not the headphones. It's about getting what I paid for. If ROKU can't /won't deliver what they promise, and given a choice, I don't wish to do business with them.

And yes, I am aware that Apple does not have headphone capability. As to why, I don't know, and don't care.
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 7

There have been several official roku branded replies. RokuDale, RokuShawn, RokuNB. This is a high-priority for them. They've mentioned that a fix is coming. But I am sure it isn't as "simple" as some users make it out to be. I noticed recently that roku incorporated MPG123 into their firmware. This supports better mp2/mp3 playback. Perhaps they are experimenting with other open source libraries and this isn't even a roku problem. It is a problem in the library, and roku has to work with the vendor of that library, to work back with and solve the problem.

In the same vein as roku developers need cross talk with roku about issues in their apps and if indeed it is a firmware issue. So you can't expect Rome to be built in a day. Now its been several days, in fact fortnights, so yeah. It has been many, many, many days and It may appear they are dragging their feet, but believe me it is anything but. The world of software moves at the speed of light. You can't slow down. So as posts built up in these threads addressing the same faults previous posts has, roku is diligently trying to iron this out. Think like a doctor, you will get more patience.
0 Kudos