Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goofey
Level 8

Harmony 650 no longer controls Roku 4

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 4I have a Harmony 650 remote which is the infrared kind that does not use a hub.

The Harmony remote worked well with the Roku until this week. Now it doesn’t seem to control the Roku at all. I’ve reloaded all the settings into the Harmony, so I’m sure that’s not the problem.

Can something be wrong with the Roku? I’ve already rebooted it six times. Don’t know what else I can do.

Thanks.

Michael

[post moved]

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Goofey
Level 8

Re: Harmony 650 no longer controls Roku 4

Jump to solution
This is getting weirder by the minute. If I angle the Roku at about 45° to where I’m viewing from (in other words the right most corner of the unit is pointing at me as opposed to the face pointing at me) then the thing works perfectly with the Harmony remote. If I face the Roku directly at me it’s like the remote is dead. I’ve even tried turning off all the lights in the room on the theory that some reflection was hitting something. Even in complete darkness the remote won’t work unless the Roku is pointed at a 45° angle. This is bizarre. It makes absolutely no sense. By the way, I’ve already tried jiggling all the wires and it’s nothing electrical.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution

Any chance the Roku has moved slightly, and now the IR port is being blocked? Remember that IR needs a clear line of sight.

Does the original Roku remote still work? It doesn't use IR, but would at least confirm if the remote circuitry in the 4 is still working.

Obvious question, but does the 650 still control your other devices OK? 

I have a couple of 650s, but have never configured them for a Roku. Are you certain there isn't more than one set of codes for Roku?

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Goofey
Level 8

Jump to solution
The Roku works fine with its own remote. There’s not a glitch in it. So I don’t think it’s a reception question.

Additionally, the 650 controls everything else, even an ancient stereo and an ancient DVD player. So it’s something unique to the Roku, I guess.

And as I said in the original post, this remote has worked OK for probably a couple of years with this very same Roku. So it’s an entirely new problem,

This is a classic case something that worked for a very long time and then just quit.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the note.

Did you contact Logitech Support to inquire if your Harmony received a software update recently? You can reach them here: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/contact

If your device is still on OS 9.1 (Settings>system>About), then there are no recent updates to your Roku 4 that could have caused a change in functionality. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Goofey wrote:
The Roku works fine with its own remote. There’s not a glitch in it. So I don’t think it’s a reception question.

The factory Roku remote uses WiFi, so it's not comparable to your 650, which is using IR. But at least that confirms the Roku is still working with A remote. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Goofey
Level 8

Jump to solution
It is 9.1.0
0 Kudos
Goofey
Level 8

Jump to solution
This is getting weirder by the minute. If I angle the Roku at about 45° to where I’m viewing from (in other words the right most corner of the unit is pointing at me as opposed to the face pointing at me) then the thing works perfectly with the Harmony remote. If I face the Roku directly at me it’s like the remote is dead. I’ve even tried turning off all the lights in the room on the theory that some reflection was hitting something. Even in complete darkness the remote won’t work unless the Roku is pointed at a 45° angle. This is bizarre. It makes absolutely no sense. By the way, I’ve already tried jiggling all the wires and it’s nothing electrical.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

Jump to solution
Is there a sound bar and in the way?
0 Kudos
Goofey
Level 8

Jump to solution
Nothing in the way. Direct line of sight.
0 Kudos