Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: HDMI Extender not working

@Techhound 

Thanks for the update.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
madprof
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue as others in the thread: I am now on my second extender.

I have found a second tv which I can plug my stick+ into and it works fine. When I add the extender I get no signal on the TV. As with others old TV, Vizio ~2008.

If there is Roku tech person here I can PM please let me know. Thanks!

0 Kudos
madprof
Reel Rookie

Solution: buy an HDMI extender on Amazon (I just got the first one listed, UGREEN HDMI Extension Cable 4K HDMI Extender Male to Female). I think it took two minutes between opening the bag and getting the stick+ to work. I confirmed the ones Roku sent do not work on a TV and two computers.

Roku between their poor extender, cheap mailing (it took almost two weeks to get to me, and I am in the US) and non-informative chat (we do not know why the extender will not work and can only send a replacement via USPS) wasted tons of my time. Perhaps someone from Roku can follow-up on why this was such a horrible experience, either in the thread or via a PM

0 Kudos

Working without extender; no signal with HDMI extender. LG and Insignia TVs. What a waste.

0 Kudos
madprof
Reel Rookie

@savagerider : I would suggest getting an extender on your own from Amazon. I went through multiples from Roku and none worked. A new one worked with no issues (see my post ^)

0 Kudos
brownry

I was having the same issue trying on multiple TVs. This may not be the case for you but in my case it was actually the ROKU going into the HDMI extender that was not fully engaged. It was quite a snug fit and I found that I had to really push the ROKU into the HDMI extender and then it all worked fine.

0 Kudos
madprof
Reel Rookie

I hope so but if you see in my post^ Roku sent me extenders that did not work on multiple devices. And yet the first one I purchased on Amazon worked immediately. So I would still suggest buying an extender on your own if nothing else works.

And fyi for all following the thread: I never heard back from Roku. Customer service as good as the quality control I am disappointed to say.

0 Kudos
Williewill007
Reel Rookie

I have the model 3810x and have had the extender attached to my Roku stick in my Smart Samsung tv hdmi port for a few months now using Cox Cable for internet service with no warning messages or any overheating from touch. Now that I have switched to Verizon internet, I noticed my streaming stick is hot even with the extender. I have tried both removing the Roku stick from the tv (10 min waiting period) and detached the power from the wall (also 10 min waiting period). I have also performed the 2 steps above while resetting the internet and/or powering off the internet box. The Roku stick still gets hot but I do not receive any warning messages. Please advise.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Williewill007, are you having a problem or did you just notice that the stick gets hot?  They do tend to get pretty hot, but if you're not getting a warning or having any problem then it's probably nothing to worry about.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Williewill007,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Roku players/Streaming Sticks tend to go warm since it's plugged in all the time, we suggest using an HDMI Extender. You may grab one here  

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos