Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Green light won’t stop rapidly flashing

I am having the same issues opened an app and the remote just stopped working but the remote app works,

My serial number is YH000T219410

0 Kudos
pacmanagain
Reel Rookie

OK Problem solved at least for me - Remote clearly faulty with no fix coming forth - Sadly all the suggested fixes above did not work so the remote is now in the bin

Luckily I have a couple of old NowTV sticks that I got for virtually nothing (came "free" with a 3 month subscription to Sky NowTV) These are rebadged Roku devices with limited function - I no longer use these sticks and was going to throw them away

The good news for me was that the remotes work with my Roku Streaming plus stick - So I binned the Roku remote and synced up one of the spare NowTV remotes to the Roku stick

It would be nice to have confirmation as to what the rapid flashing light on the original remote is and confirmation that this means a busted remote as there seems to be quite a few with similar issues

Sorry I cant fix for others

0 Kudos
RokuIrene-S
Retired Moderator

Hi @Lnjohnson @NAndriaccio

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried to reset the Roku remote? Are you using new batteries? Would you mind providing the serial number of your Roku device?

If your Roku simple remote or Roku voice remote is not working as expected, you can find troubleshooting tips for common issues, including how to pair and restart your voice remote.

For more information here is the link for you: How to resolve issues with your Roku simple remote or Roku voice remote

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Irene

0 Kudos
willsax
Channel Surfer

@RokuIrene-S  That link has no troubleshooting tips about what to do if the Roku remote pairing light is rapidly flashing.

I don't know my roku remote serial number, but the SKU is 3226000838 and the Model is RC-AL7.

The green paring light on my remote flashes rapidly, over 10 times per second. It's not the flashing that happens while pairing, only once or twice per second.

MY QUESTION: What does the rapidly flashing pairing light mean for a Roku remote? If you know what it means, do you know how to fix it?

All the troubleshooting tips that involve the Roku player do not work because the remote never gets in a state to pair or communicate with the player. I cannot find any documentation online about the rapidly flashing pairing light. That's why I'm posting and asking the above questions here.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

After unplugging the roku from the power for a bit, then plugging it back in once it comes back from bouncing the roku is in sniffer mode looking for wifi remotes. At this time press the pairing button even if its flashing for 5 seconds and release. Don't touch thing until you get conformation its paired. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
pacmanagain
Reel Rookie

Sadly this does not work on the issue we are talking about I have tried now tried to sync the remote to 2 different streaming + sticks to no avail

0 Kudos
willsax
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the response but it did not work with multiple streaming sticks.

I'm wondering why someone from Roku is not responding to the question "What does the rapidly flashing pairing light mean for a Roku remote?" This thread was started 2.5 months ago. It seems like everyone in this thread who has a remote going through this has concluded that the remote is broken and cannot be fixed, so you have throw it away.

I'd like Roku to confirm what everyone's saying, that the rapidly blinking light means the remote will never work again. Are all these issues with a certain model? Like my RC-AL7? My older remote (RC-AL2) is still working fine.

0 Kudos
Lnjohnson
Channel Surfer

As I mentioned above they never gave me an answer to that either they just said that my Roku premier was out of warranty they didn’t make the model anymore and that I just had to buy a new remote which was ridiculous because I had literally just bought a new remote and that was the one that was rapidly blinking so I just ditched Rahul together and bought Apple TV. I don’t know that they will answer but definitely the email that I got left me very unsatisfied…  I put their lackluster response below….I’d like to stress again just for the sake of making this is obvious as possible my remote was brand new

Hi,

Thank you for the response. We apologize for the delay. If the issue persists in spite of trying the recommended steps, the remote should be faulty and you may have to purchase a replacement remote as the device is more than 4 years old.

You can either purchase a replacement remote or use the Roku mobile app to control the Roku device.

willsax
Channel Surfer

Thanks @Lnjohnson. This helps. I guess I shouldn't expect a response or support from Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@willsax

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos