Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alexx
Level 7

Finding remote for streaming stick+ that is still connected

Hey guys, one of my kids took the remove away and we cannot find it for two weeks, it is still connected to the streaming stick and I tried a bluetooth finder app on android but I believe the remote doesn't broadcast, I tried searching for the mac address on my wifi network, but I believe the remote is only bluetooth?

Has anyone got any tips how I could find the remote? It seems there is no way to make the remote play a sound like other roku models

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Alexx
Level 7

Re: Finding remote for streaming stick+ that is still connected

I've done a bit more research, it seems the remote could be using wifi direct instead of bluetooth? I've tried to sniff for the mac address of the remote but I cannot find it, maybe due to the network encryption so I can't capture the mac address on that network between roku and the remote.

I've used some softwrae to try finding the "hidden" network between the roku and the remote, but no luck so far 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Roku Voice/Point Anywhere remotes use WiFi Direct, and go to "sleep" when not active, so trying to find it that way will be extremely difficult at best.

The amount of time and effort you have spent trying to find the missing remote is considerably more than the replacement cost of a new remote ($20).

I suggest getting the replacement remote (RCAL7R) at Walmart/Best Buy/Amazon/etc, and if you ever find the original, you have a backup:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/streaming-stick

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Strega
Level 15

Also, I assume you're not letting the kids watch TV until the remote is found.  If you haven't tried that yet, I think it would increase the energy dedicated to finding it by a lot! Smiley Very Happy

Alexx
Level 7

Strange is that the remove is still showing as connected and the battery percentage 2 weeks after we lost it. I can see its mac address and I'm trying everything I can do be able to tell where the signal is coming from, but I can't sniff that mac address anywhere or as a hidden network.

I ordered the new remote. It would be good to have a find control feature.

0 Kudos
Alexx
Level 7

2 year old can't process that yet, but yeah, in a few years for sure.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

@Alexx wrote:

It would be good to have a find control feature.

The ultra has that feature. If you ever buy another Roku, this page is handy:

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

In this case "Lost remote finder" is the feature of interest.

You could also do something like what the local Post Office did.  They started taping artificial flowers to their pens so they wouldn't walk out the door. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@Alexx wrote:

Strange is that the remove is still showing as connected and the battery percentage 2 weeks after we lost it. I can see its mac address and I'm trying everything I can do be able to tell where the signal is coming from, but I can't sniff that mac address anywhere or as a hidden network.

I ordered the new remote. It would be good to have a find control feature.

Yes, it will show as a registered remote unless and until it is unregistered (de-paired).

If it doesnt say "in use":  Settings/Remotes & devices/Remotes/<named remote here> (in use)  then its not currently active/controlling the device.

The battery percentage is as of the last time the remote was communicated with (it will wake up occasionally and briefly to "check in").

As @Strega mentioned, the Ultra model has a remote finder feature.

StreamerUser

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Alexx 

Best you can do in the future for the devices that do not support the "Find My Remote" is to equip it with your own.  These are basically little tiles that you attach to remotes, keys, wallets, etc.  Probably cheaper alternatives if you do some searching but this link gives you most popular on Amazon. (termed "item finders").  I bought the Tiles at Best Buy for family members years back.  Basically audible chirping alert when you whistle. I even used one on a deaf ferret I owned at the time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/18022313011/

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.

0 Kudos
Alexx
Level 7

Ok, so my remote may have been put in the bin a be miles away from here when I was looking for it due to the battery status. It would be good to have a clue in there saying last seen time for that battery status as it is quite deceiving to see it there. I swear the remote was close by.

0 Kudos