Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mar1234
Channel Surfer

Express+ Remote won’t pair with Samsung TV

Hi, I recently tried to pair a new Roku Express+ remote with a Samsung TV. I got to the part where it asks “did the music stop” and I went through numerous TV control options with Roku and none of them worked. It said that the TV and remote aren’t supported together or something like that, but I haven’t had any issues pairing roku remotes with any of my other Samsung TVs in the past. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue? Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Express+ Remote won’t pair with Samsung TV

Hi there, 

Thanks for the note. What is your specific model of Samsung TV? 

I'd recommend continuing to try other codes. For some manufacturers, they may be dozens of possible command codes. When you are prompted regarding whether or not the music stopped, keep answering no until you find a compatible code. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/360004786894-why-is-my-roku-enhanced-remote-not-controlling-volume-...

If that still isn't working to help get your remote paired, please take a picture of the compatibility message you see on screen and include it in your reply. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Mar1234
Channel Surfer

Hi Tanner,

The Samsung TV model is UN19F4000AF.

It’s actually my dads garage TV I tried to set up with a new Roku Express+ remote. When I got to the “has the music stopped” part and I said no, it prompted me to go through 30+ command codes and none of them worked. After trying all of them it gave me an error saying something along the lines of the remote cannot be paired with that TV and to go to a roku website for more help. I won’t be back to his house for a week but I can try pairing again when I go back and if it doesn’t work I can post a picture of the error then.
I’m just confused because I’ve set up a few Roku remotes with Samsung TVs with no issues so I’m not sure why this one won’t work.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Where is the express+ during programming the tv, is it buried behind the tv? I have found it works every time when there's clear line of sight to both roku and front of the tv, just during tv programming, later you can bury it behind.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Mar1234
Channel Surfer

I placed the roku right under the TV screen so there was a clear view of it with the remote. I actually thought that was the issue and stood about 2-3 feet away pointing the remote directly at the roku while trying to program the remote. Still no luck.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Anything covering the front of tv, say a soundbar? Does any remote work with the tv now? Not in the past or other samsungs, this one? The only thing that changed with Samsung tv over the years was the IR protocol, you wouldn't have repeating volume commands if the remote had he wrong protocol. So all codes assigned to Samsung should work, some better then others.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ElJefe
Channel Surfer

I am having the same issue with my Roku which had been working up until about a month ago.  I cycle through all of the codes and the music still doesn't stop playing.  The issue not with view of the device, or with TV.  It has everything to do with the Roku device.

0 Kudos
Laa
Reel Rookie

Same issue. Not sure how to resolve. 

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@ElJefe @Laa Thanks for reaching out. Have you tried all of the codes available? Some manufacturers may have dozens of possible codes, which may require you to say 'no' for the music question a number time to continue to get different codes, before you are able to locate the correct one. See the steps for this here: https://support.roku.com/article/360004786894-why-is-my-roku-enhanced-remote-not-controlling-volume-...

If you've tried all the codes available for your manufacturer and you still aren't seeing success, please reply with more information about your specific TV brand and the model number. 

As a reminder, the TV power and volume control feature available on supported Roku remotes is designed to control TV power and volume. It does not support controlling A/V receivers or Soundbars. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/115013019828-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-enhanced-remote-to-control-my-...

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
ElJefe
Channel Surfer

@RokuTannerD I have tried all 50 codes multiple times and the music never stops.  It ends with a statement that it can't pair with my TV.  My issue is that it has been working for the past year+, and all of sudden quit working a few weeks ago.

Samsung TV Model #: Samsung 6 series (55) UN55KU6290FXZA

Roku: 3810X Roku Streaming Stick+

I have the Roku connected directly in the TV and am only having it control my Roku plus the TV volume and power.
0 Kudos