Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trharper
Channel Surfer

Express 4K+ Remote compatible w/ LG TV?

Hi Everyone,

I got my new Express 4K+ a bit early than the planned release date and I hooked it last evening.   My TV is a LG OLED55C7P (manufactured in November 2017).   Going through the setup for the Roku device and associated remote, the ROKU remote does not seem to be fully compatible with the TV.   The setup process plays music and you confirm (or not) that you can hear music and then it appears to attempt a control code to turn off (or perhaps mute) the music.   If the music doesn't stop, you indicate that and then the setup proceeds to a second code, third code, etc.  The setup appears to attempt 6 different codes and then if you have responded that the music can still be heard, it concludes that the ROKU remote cannot control the TV.   

The Roku remote of course can control the ROKU device and its embedded software, but I cannot control TV volume, on/off etc.   Thus, I want to ask...

Is this really the case that a brand new ROKU device won't control a 4 year old TV or did I miss something in the setup?   Is there a ROKU provided list that shows which TVs are compatible?

Possible that new TV control codes for the ROKU will be added over time?

I bought this ROKU device so I could add 4K AppleTV to the TV (seems like I got an LG model before they became compatible with AppleTV...or LG enabled the compatibility).   Just fyi - I've had two other ROKU devices in the past and been pleased with their performance.

thanks so much!!

21 REPLIES 21
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Express 4K+ Remote compatible w/ LG TV?

What firmware version+build does the 3941 have right now?

Make sure you connect the 4K+ directly to the TV for initial setup, and that your AVR/soundbar is turned off (or fully disconnected in some cases), then run the remote setup again.

Usually more recent model year LG TVs use the second code (TV code 1).

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Did you make sure it had all the upgrades? Try telling it you have Goldstar or Vizio tv brand. Which uses the same code as your LG. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
trharper
Channel Surfer

The 3941X has software version 10.01 build 4146-CR.   

The remote has firmware rtn.4106 (model RC608)

I turned off the LG Soundbar, disconnected the HDMI and RJ-45 from the soundbar (i.e. off and disconnected) - still was not able to get any of the LG codes (6 of them) to work.

Thanks for the suggestions!  (see other reply with regards to Vizio/Goldstar)

trharper
Channel Surfer

The 3941X has software version 10.01 build 4146-CR.   

The remote has firmware rtn.4106 (model RC608)

I tried the Vizio and Goldstar.   Vizio appeared to work, I was able to turn off /on , control volume.   I thought let me try LG one more time....so I went back to LG...tried it, nothing worked.   Then back to Vizio, and it would not work again.  Very strange.

Regardless, when it was working with Vizio, it definitely did not turn on the LG soundbar simultaneously with the TV -- thus I would have to dig out the Soundbar remote control to turn it on.   So it seems, I would alway need two remotes regardless....  

I'll just have to settle with having one more remote.   Appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Have you manually checked for updates to your Roku?  Settings/System/System update/Check now

Does your C7 have firmware version 06.00.05 (latest firmware)?

Assume you have CEC enabled in both devices? (SIMPLINK enabled in the C7 and "1-touch play" enabled in your Roku?)

0 Kudos
senord

Off topic, but really need help! does Express 4K+ work with Harmony universal remotes like the model I have, 665? thanks a bunch in advance!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@senord wrote:

Off topic, but really need help! does Express 4K+ work with Harmony universal remotes like the model I have, 665? thanks a bunch in advance!

Yes.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-roku

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Yes, the Roku Express 4K+ accepts IR commends even though it comes with wifi remote. And your Harmony only emits IR commands you just have to find a Roku code in the data base. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
senord

Thanks so much! My only concern is that Express 4K+ does not have headphone jack, but ULTRA does. Does ULTRA connect with Harmony universal remotes also?

0 Kudos