Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjb5
Reel Rookie

Everyday pairing Roku Remote, why?

Every day I try and turn on my Roku Express 4K+ and it tells me to pair the Remote.  No matter when I try turning it on it's the same thing over and over, PAIR THE REMOTE !!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Re: Everyday pairing Roku Remote, why?

You don’t “turn on” a Roku. They are always on. Are you pushing the button on the Roku itself?

0 Kudos
mjb5
Reel Rookie

I'm not sure if I understand your question.  I've never had to push any thing on my Roku Player.  I use the Remote to turn the power on,  in other words I push my home button on the Remote and instantly the screen comes on and tells me to Pair my Remote.  This is the problem that I'm trying to solve.

When I use to turn my Remote on it would go straight to my Home Screen with all my listings and now it does not.  This is a Brand New Roku Express 4k +

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

You don’t turn on a Roku. When you press the power button on your remote it turns the tv on. Not the home button. Turn on your remote? Ok so let me simplify this. 
1. Press the “power” button on your Roku remote 

2. TV screen comes on

3. You now see your Roku Home Screen 

4. A message pops up on the screen saying “pair your remote”

You say it’s brand new? When did you purchase it? From where? It’s under warranty for 12 months so you can fill out a warranty claim.

https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@mjb5 

If you have 1-touch Play enabled on your Roku device, then you can indeed wake up the Roku device and turn on the TV simulataneously using the Home button (or any other button on the Roku remote excl. power and volume).

The need to re-pair daily does seem to come up occassionally in the Community.  Some have found that connecting to the 2.4ghz band or using ethernet may help to resolve issue.  If these two things do resolve issue, then either points to interference on the 5ghz band or your router may be switching to an unsupported channel which is affecting the wifi-direct network (a private network used by the device to communicate with the remote).

A few things you can try.

1. Switch to the 2.4ghz band rather than 5ghz. (or vice-versa)

2. Try using ethernet connection. (if you have a compatible USB ethernet adapter and is practical.)

3. Try changing the wireless channels under your Wireless Settings in router under appropriate band (2.4ghz or 5ghz). Rather than using the Auto setting, on the 5ghz try 36-48, or 149-161.  You can see which channel you are currently using by Settings/Network/About on your Roku device.

4. Move the device around a little bit and see if that helps. (sometimes reorienting it a bit will help mitigate some interference as well)

5. Of course, use new batteries in remote.

----

Sometimes, the above will not resolve the issue and users have found replacing the device is needed to resolve the issue. (supports a defective device or remote as culprit).

Additionally, a power-savings feature is causing some issues for some users in varying ways.  Try disabling this feature under Settings/System/Power/Power Savings/Automatic Power Savings (20min).

Feel free to post an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos