Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomkirk1234
Level 7

Every time I turn Roku box on I have to repair remote

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help for some reason every time I turn my roku box back on I have to go through the process of reconnecting my remote with it and going onto the website to link it? 
can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can fix it?
I have checked batteries and swapped them as well and it isn't that?

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Every time I turn Roku box on I have to repair remote

Check out the Forum Rules at the top of the page. They tell you the type of information that's often needed to troubleshoot issues. For example, we don't know what kind of Roku you're using. The model number is always helpful. We don't know where you are; you didn't set a location in your profile, nor did your message include that.

Give us more information and perhaps we can help.

In the meantime, I must note that Roku boxes generally aren't powered off. Why are you powering off? Was there some issue that caused you to used this non-standard process? If so, that could help shed light on what's going on.

Even then, Roku boxes will restart when there are major software updates during overnight hours, so a reboot is normal, just not an everyday thing.

That leads to my next question: does this only happen when you power it down, or does a reboot (you can do that from the menu system) also cause this issue?

Give us more information about things, answer the questions I posed, and let's see if someone here can help.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
tomkirk1234
Level 7

Basil, thank you for your help. 
I am in the UK and I am using a ROKU 3 box. 
When I say powering off what I mean is when I move from the roku box to my normal TV? I am not turning anything off on the Roku. 
I have tried doing a restart from the settings menu on the box and a factory restore and neither of these fix the problem?
hope someone can help 
Tom 
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"tomkirk1234" wrote:
I have tried doing a restart from the settings menu on the box and a factory restore and neither of these fix the problem?

I wasn't suggesting that doing a restart from the menu would fix anything. What I was asking is, after the remote is paired, does a restart (from menu) cause the problem to reappear. Perhaps I'm not understanding the issue.

Here's what I'm gathering, based on your first post and your followup. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

From my understanding, you have a Roku 3 connected to a TV. When you switch the TV input to the HDMI port to which the Roku is connected, the remote is not paired. You have to pair the remote.

After pairing the remote, it stays paired while you use the Roku. When you're finished watching the Roku, you change the TV source from the HDMI input to some other (either another HDMI source or standard TV). When later go back to the HDMI source of the Roku (usually after a period of time) the remote is no longer paired.

Is that an accurate description of what you're encountering?

If it is (and only if it is) I need to ask this: have you changed the batteries in the remote? Because it sounds like the remote is losing connectivity. The easiest thing to check is the batteries.

If my description is not correct, please explain the situation again.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
tomkirk1234
Level 7

yes you are correct . that is exactly what is happening.
yes I have checked the batteries and I have changed them also but yet it still happens?
0 Kudos
tomkirk1234
Level 7

Does anyone know why this is occurring and how I can prevent it happening int he future?
New batteries, Repairing the remote and doing a restart or a factory restore does not work?
thanks
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Just to be clear, while the remote is working, have you used the menu to restart the box? And, after the restart, was the remote still paired?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos