Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjnoles1
Level 7

Enhanced remote with TV power and volume option. Question

Can this remote turn on and off 2 things (TV and audio receiver) and then control the volume on the audio receiver? Or is this remotes capability limited to only turning on/off a TV and a TV volume? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Enhanced remote with TV power and volume option. Question

"mjnoles1" wrote:
Can this remote turn on and off 2 things (TV and audio receiver) and then control the volume on the audio receiver? Or is this remotes capability limited to only turning on/off a TV and a TV volume? 

I don't have such a remote, so I'm making a guess here. But it's unlikely the IR portion of the remote can control both a TV and AVR. That's because it will only accept a single control code, and different types of equipment (TV and AVR) use different codes. That said, you can use CEC to control certain things. For example, if my system is all powered down (just the Roku in standby), by pressing any button on the Roku remote (recommend only using the Home button) will power on my TV and my AVR, and change both devices to the correct HDMI input for the Roku. But it can't perform any other function on either the TV or AVR after this sequence is complete, except the volume button on my Roku remote will control the volume of my Yamaha AVR. the remote for my Ultra doesn't have a power button, so I can't say if the newer remotes can power both devices down with a single power button push. However, with my layouts I can power off the TV and CEC will turn off the AVR as well. 
This of course is completely dependent on your TV and AVR supporting CEC. Different manufacturers label it differently. Samsung calls it Anynet. I forgot what Yamaha and Panasonic label theirs. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Enhanced remote with TV power and volume option. Question

The remote itself is designed to handle a single TV. I have seen reports of some users finding a way to have the volume control the sound bar/system, but Roku doesn't officially support that. The power and volume are for a single TV to which a Roku box or Stick is connected.

That's not to challenge anything Dan said, but merely to pass along the piece of information about which he was unsure, as he doesn't have such a remote. I do, and that's what it says, for both my Ultra (4660) and Premiere+ (3921).
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos