Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DougJ
Level 8

Enhanced remote no longer adjusts headphones volume as it should (and used to)

Jump to solution

My Roku WiFi-enhanced remote no longer lets me adjust volume in the inserted headphones like it used to. I know the Roku is actually receiving the button commands (volume up and down), as confirmed in the wireless secret screen area. However, the volume level setting (a number that used to shown on the screen) never shows on the screen anymore, and no actual change in volume happens. I already downloaded the latest Firmware OTA Update. No luck. I already tried resetting the Roku and the remote, and repairing. No luck. What am I missing? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougJ
Level 8

Re: Enhanced remote - headphone volume stuck between 26 & 28 - Another Wrinkle

Jump to solution

Thank you for replying.

Your answer caused me to do some more digging. I have a newer remote that has the headphones jack, but I have it paired with a Roku 2 (model 2720X). 

Private listening always used to work flawlessly with this device (Roku 2), however I'm guessing that at some point it auto updated its firmware in a way that hobbled the feature.

According to a feature comparison chart on the Roku website (here), it seems the feature is not supported (although clearly it could be, as it used to work with no issue).

Accordingly, your suggestion seems to also not work. (When I use the Roku app, and connect Apple headphones to my iPhone, I get no headphones icon or volume buttons in the Roku app "control" tab.) 

I am disappointed to think that a feature that used to work perfectly now does not, and it's apparently because Roku decided to take away from my device something that was already working.

So, currently it still "works" but I have no real control over the volume. The volume can be adjusted to only level 26 or level 28. I think the maximum volume is something like 50.

I guess I am "OK" with continuing my private listening at level 28. This is frustrating, but I'm not inclined to waste my existing Roku over this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DougJ
Level 8

Re: Enhanced remote no longer adjusts headphone volume as it should — volume stuck between 26 & 28

Jump to solution

OK, interesting development. After multiple reboots and repairing, and re-trying, I just now saw a volume level appear on the screen for the first time in a long time.

However, I can only get it to go down and up between 28 and 26. If it's on 28 and I press volume up, nothing happens. If I press volume down, it goes down to 26, but no lower. If it's on 26 and I press volume down, nothing happens, but if I press volume up, it does go up to 28, but no higher.

Sigh. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
DougJ
Level 8

Jump to solution

The functionality to adjust the headphones volume — though only between 26 and 28 — only happens while I am in the main Roku menu / home screen area — it not does work at all while trying to watch a streaming movie, such as on Netflix, which is when it used to work, and should work. And even when in the home screen area, I still cannot turn the headphones volume up, as it should go higher than 28.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

As a test, could you install the Roku app on a phone or tablet and try controlling it that way? Just trying to see if the remote is the problem or the player itself. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DougJ
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for replying.

Your answer caused me to do some more digging. I have a newer remote that has the headphones jack, but I have it paired with a Roku 2 (model 2720X). 

Private listening always used to work flawlessly with this device (Roku 2), however I'm guessing that at some point it auto updated its firmware in a way that hobbled the feature.

According to a feature comparison chart on the Roku website (here), it seems the feature is not supported (although clearly it could be, as it used to work with no issue).

Accordingly, your suggestion seems to also not work. (When I use the Roku app, and connect Apple headphones to my iPhone, I get no headphones icon or volume buttons.) 

I am disappointed to think that a feature that used to work perfectly now does not, and it's apparently because Roku decided to take away from my device something that was already working.

So, currently it still "works" but I have no real control over the volume. The volume can be adjusted to only level 26 or level 28. I think the maximum volume is something like 50.

I guess I am "OK" with continuing my private listening at level 28. This is frustrating, but I'm not inclined to waste my existing Roku over this issue.

0 Kudos
DougJ
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for replying.

Accordingly, your suggestion seems to also not work. (When I use the Roku app, and connect Apple headphones to my iPhone, I get no headphones icon or volume buttons in the Roku app "control" tab.) 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
wills2720
Level 7

Re: Enhanced remote no longer adjusts headphones volume as it should (and used to)

Jump to solution

FWIW, I experienced the identical problem with my 2720X remote volume, and on 11/8/19 another software update disabled the remote audio completely.  

0 Kudos
DougJ
Level 8

Re: Enhanced remote no longer adjusts headphones volume as it should (and used to)

Jump to solution
I also experienced the same complete loss of use after that software update to the Roku device.
0 Kudos
wills2720
Level 7

Jump to solution

Received another update on my 2720x yesterday.  The remote headphone jack and volume control still not working.

0 Kudos
DougJ
Level 8

Jump to solution

I tend to suspect that the breaking (on older models) of this previously fully-functional feature (for those who had invested in a newer remote), was a deliberate move by Roku/programmers. :-(

0 Kudos