Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Enhanced remote lost connection when tv goes to sleep

Jump to solution

Ok I have a tcl 4 series Roku tv. This just started happening but everytime the tv goes to sleep I lose the connection to my enhanced remote. My tv is mounted high and I have a sound bar that covers the infrared receiver. At first I tried re pairing the remote. When this didn't stick I bought a new enhanced remote. The only way I can get it to work again is move my sound bar and use the infrared on the remote to turn it on. As soon as I do that the enhanced portion of the remote works again. I regularly do a system restart to the tv and make sure it's up to date. The problem also persist on more than 1 remote. I have even removed the old remote from the tv if that was causing any issues. The tv is hooked up to 2.4ghz wifi and is in the same room as the router. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Re: Enhanced remote lost connection when tv goes to sleep

Jump to solution

I don't have the pro remote. And ya I may switch back to 5ghz. A while ago I switched my 5ghz channel to a dfs channel. Roku doesn't support those channels so I switched them to 2.4ghz. the reason for the channel change was congestion from my neighbors wifi. And yes when I say put to sleep I mean pressing the power button. I assumed that was sleep and that's what the fast start was turning on. I thought without fast start the power button would actually turn it off. It also seems that what I've already tried doesn't work. I found another setting that keeps my remote awake. I don't know what the default setting is but you can choose from 5 seconds to 30 seconds or to keep awake. Giving it a shot before switching back to my 5ghz and moving the channel...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This is an issue for TCL. But let’s try. Your TCL comes with a basic. IR remote which means it needs a clear site to the sensor to work. Your soundbar is blocking that sensor so it’s best to move it down. Which Roku remote did you buy in addition to the original one? If you bought a Roku Voice Remote or the Pro those are WiFi direct remotes. Which means you don’t need to point it at the tv. I own the Pro version. Be sure your tv is set to stay awake. I believe it’s smart on or something like that 

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My remote is a voice remote. I have never even used the original infrared remote. I've had the tv for about 2 years now. And there has been a sound bar blocking the ir receiver for about a year. And my tv has been set to fast start since day 1. I believe I may have found something. I should know by tomorrow if there are any hiccups. I got into the hidden wifi menu. In there there is a remote menu. I tried to update the remote firmware and it failed to update multiple times. On the screen I seen it said "pairing asleep : auto" there was a setting to turn auto pairing on. I set it to on and tried to update again and it worked. Roku remote now on the latest firmware. I put my tv to sleep and it woke back up....only thing I don't know is how much time it typically takes to lose connection. Overnight tonight will have to be the test. 

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Also if this works I'll post detailed instructions on what I did. I found that there are a few topics floating around on the web without resolution so maybe it can help some people

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Voice Remote Pro I use with my TCL Roku TV. My TV is set to fast start which means it never goes to sleep. The screen just turns off. I have zero issues with my tv or remote. The original IR remote works just fine too. So this is the remote you have?  Explain what you mean by you put your TV to sleep. You mean you press the power button on the remote? That just turns off the screen. You can try disabling the bandwidth saver found in the network settings. Mine is enabled so you shouldn’t have to disable it. Another thing you want yo try is switching to the 5.0GHz network on your TV. TCL Roku TV’s are dual band. Less interference on the 5.0 so give that a try

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't have the pro remote. And ya I may switch back to 5ghz. A while ago I switched my 5ghz channel to a dfs channel. Roku doesn't support those channels so I switched them to 2.4ghz. the reason for the channel change was congestion from my neighbors wifi. And yes when I say put to sleep I mean pressing the power button. I assumed that was sleep and that's what the fast start was turning on. I thought without fast start the power button would actually turn it off. It also seems that what I've already tried doesn't work. I found another setting that keeps my remote awake. I don't know what the default setting is but you can choose from 5 seconds to 30 seconds or to keep awake. Giving it a shot before switching back to my 5ghz and moving the channel...

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The only difference between the voice remote and the voice remote pro is the pro is rechargeable. Your TCL Roku TV is dual band. It supports 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. I own a TLC Roku TV. If you look up the information on TCL‘s website it will tell you. Roku TV’s and streaming devices never actually turn off. If it did turn off your TV you would have to reboot each time. That would take twice as long. When you press the power button all you’re doing is turning the screen off. The only true way to turn your TV off is to unplug it. I’ve never seen such a feature from 5. seconds to 30 seconds. That’s listed under your Roku settings? Are you talking about sleep timer? can you post a picture of the setting you’re describing

https://support.tcl.com/rokutv-setup-configuration/us-how-to-enable-fast-tv-start-rokutv

https://support.roku.com/article/360011064094

https://support.roku.com/article/360037935214

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

PXL_20220407_012055351.jpg

It's in one of the hidden menus. While in that menu you can see that when you touch a button on a remote it changes to W for awake after however many seconds it changes to S for sleep. I have it set to keep awake so now it shows a K.

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@frankr2994  Don’t go into that stuff. It’s unnecessary and not the cause of your issue. I have a TCL Roku TV with a Voice Remote just like you. Same TV and same remote. Mine is just rechargeable. I don’t have any issues. My remote stays programmed and connected to my TV. Been that way for a year

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

And yes I know Roku tvs are dual band. What I'm saying is that they do not support DFS channels on the 5ghz band. Many routers don't pick dfs channels you have to manually set them to it. This helps for getting around congested networks.

0 Kudos