Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adcockj
Level 7

Enhanced Remote with IR TV

I'm in the process of cutting the cord, and bought a Roku Ultra. The set up went fine, and I am able to control the volume on my 2014 Samsung 8550 tv. However, the power button does not turn on/off the tv (the set up had me confirm that the sound works and stops, but not the power).

It appears to me that the problem is the remote (Model RC-AL4)  is rf  (of some sort) and the tv is ir. The remote has a dark plastic cover on its top, which made me think it would transmit ir, but maybe that's not what that is.

Is there a way for me to get this enhanced remote to work in ir mode? or is there a "repeater" that would receive whatever this remote transmits and output an ir signal?

Thanx.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: Enhanced Remote with IR TV

Consider a Logitech Harmony remote. You'll love it.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
adcockj
Level 7

"dgrace" wrote:

Thanx, I'll take a look.
...and Montana is a fine place. Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

"dgrace" wrote:

No, he is trying to get his Roku remote to work properly.  
If someone went to a Ford forum asking how to get the lights to work in his car, its not an appropriate response to tell him to buy another more expensive car.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

I missed your suggestion for helping him. 
He was asking if there was a repeater to assist it, which to my knowledge there isn't. So, maybe consider a Toyota.
FZ
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

Buy a GE 4-device universal remote (33709) at Walmart or Amazon for $5.84. I have two, which work great with my Premiere+ / 2016 Sony TV / Sony Blue-ray player & Roku 2 (4210) / 2007 Samsung TV / Panasonic DVD-recorder. Has a ON/OFF button on remote. 
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

"dgrace" wrote:
I missed your suggestion for helping him. 

No, you didn't.  My post was directed at you.
0 Kudos
adcockj
Level 7

"T_J" wrote:
Buy a GE 4-device universal remote (33709) at Walmart or Amazon for $5.84. I have two, which work great with my Premiere+ / 2016 Sony TV / Sony Blue-ray player & Roku 2 (4210) / 2007 Samsung TV / Panasonic DVD-recorder. Has a ON/OFF button on remote. 

Thanx much. I'll pick up one.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

"Streams" wrote:
"dgrace" wrote:

No, he is trying to get his Roku remote to work properly.  
If someone went to a Ford forum asking how to get the lights to work in his car, its not an appropriate response to tell him to buy another more expensive car.

Off to the car lot. Thanks for your help.
FZ
0 Kudos