Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gfunky
Level 7

Enhanced Remote 'volume up' button pauses playback

I have the Enhanced Remote controlling my Roku Ultra and TV sound/power.  I went through the "set up remote for TV control' process successfully and the remote will control power and volume of the TV properly about 80% of the time.  The remaining 20% of the time, while the system is running YouTube TV or Plex (doesn't seem to be app-dependent) and I press the volume up button on the side of the remote, the playback will pause instead of increase the volume.  Another up volume press and it starts to play again.  This continues indefinitely until i press the power down button or re-seat the batteries, at which point it will work fine for another day or so until it starts acting up again. 

Things I've tried:
1. replaced batteries with fresh alkaline and even tried rechargeable NiMH, no change
2. occasionally, I can resolve the issue temporarily if I press volume down, then up, then the volume up button will respond properly for about an hour until it acts up again
3. Reprogramming the remote multiple times using the 'pair remote' option to repair it.  Also retried the 'set up remote for tv' multiple times
4. factory reset of my remote and Roku Ultra
5. consistently, i can resolve it by reseating the batteries, but the issue eventually reoccurs.

Here's my info:
Roku Ultra: 4640X
Software: 8.0.1 build 4090-29
Enhanced Remote: RC-AL4 printed in the battery compartment, RC135 shown in settings
Remote Firmware: v.2.01.19.062
YouTube TV: version 1.0 build 70500030

Labels (1)
12 Replies
gfunky
Level 7

Re: Enhanced Remote 'volume up' button pauses playback

Nobody else experiencing this?
michaeloro
Level 7

I am, exact same issue and this is a brand new remote I bought a few weeks ago. I've also noticed it's just generally slower to respond lately.

I haven't found a solution....
beq
Level 8

Most of the time the TV power and volume control is sent directly to the TV using the remote's IR emitter, though compatible TV's can also be controlled via HDMI-CEC (so the remote communicates to the Roku box over the Wi-Fi Direct link, and the box sends the CEC command to the TV over the HDMI link).  I don't know if the "Set up remote for TV control" menu process always sets up IR control, or if CEC is tested and sometimes selected?

What TV make/model do you have?  Perhaps the secret menu could offer you more info?  Sorry not much help.

Roku Platform Secret Screen
Home x 5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF
-> "Get Remote Info"
or
-> "RF Remote Menu"
-> "IR transmit menu"
-> "Universal IR Menu" vs "Universal CEC Menu"

Now, in terms of general remote response lag, or button press not registering (or registering multiple times) on the Roku menu, one possibility could be interference of the Wi-Fi Direct connection between Roku and remote.  Perhaps modifying the infrastructure Wi-Fi could help, by trying different settings on the router, or switching channel or even band (ex. 2.4 to 5 GHz)?

Note also that these remotes will temporarily switch over to IR mode if the Wi-Fi Direct connection (with the Roku that they're paired with) is lost or interrupted.  In that case, the remote will start broadcasting Roku commands using the same IR emitter that's also used to control TV power/volume.
0 Kudos
Katgv
Level 7

I too have just yesterday started to have this issue... when for the last year or so everything has been working fine.... have you found a fix for this yet?
0 Kudos

I am also having this very same issues and it just started presenting itself recently! (I have a Roku Ultra)

My Roku remote will control power and volume of the TV properly about most  of the time, but on occassion while the system is running PlayStation Vue or YouTube (doesn't seem to be app-dependent) and I press the volume up button on the side of the remote, the playback will pause instead of increase the volume.  Another up volume press and it starts to play again. This continues until I press the power down button or re-seat the batteries, at which point it will work fine for another day or so until it starts acting up again.

What can I do to correct or avoid this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
Sparky01
Level 7

I had the sane problem. This seems to have fixed it. Select home button- Settings- System- Advanced system settings- Device connect- Enable Device connect. Then see if your remote pairs and works correct.
0 Kudos

Sparky01,

You suggestion is already the standard setting on my Roku Ultra so there is no setting to change or edit? Enable Device Connect was already selected and it won't let me Disable Connect. Thanks for the suggestion though. Hopefully the moderator can come up with a solution. This problem is incredibly frustrating. I didn't have any issue for months and now with the volume/pause playback issue the remote has turned into a piece of junk that sucks batteries every couple of days Thanks again for your help and have a great day! 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
cjrick01
Level 7

I am having the same issue.  Has a fixed been made available?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"cjrick01" wrote:
I am having the same issue.  Has a fixed been made available?

It's not necessarily a fix that's needed. You see, many TVs have multiple setups. I'm going to suggest that you tried the first one you got to on your TV. That's usually sufficient, but not always.

If the power and volume controls don't work as you expect, try setting up the remote again. Next time, skip that first one that works and try the next one. Remember, you'll need your remote to turn the volume back on when you get to one that you've previously tried. And, there may be a handful of possible options, or there may be over 100. Depends on the TV brand.

So, here's an example that might explain how to accomplish this. We're walking through the entire scenario, so follow along.

You go to set up the remote. You get to the screen where it asks if it controlled the volume, and it did. You respond in the affirmative. Only later, during use, you find the controls aren't quite right. You now know that the first one didn't work.

So, you set it up again. You get to the screen where it asks if it controlled the volume. It did, you don't want that one. It already didn't work, right? So, before answering, use the TV remote to turn the volume back on, then using the Roku remote, say "No." (It's important to turn the volume back on before responding with the Roku remote.) Then continue until you get to one that does control the volume. Tell it "Yes" and see what happens. If, later during use, it turns out that the controls aren't quite right, you now know numbers 1 and 2 don't work.

So, you set it up again. You get to the screen where it asks about volume control. Turn volume back on and respond "No." You get to the second one, where you again turn the volume back on and say "No." You then get to the third one. Tell it "Yes" and see what happens.

You do this until you get one that works, or Roku says your TV isn't compatible.

If you get to the "not compatible" message, you might want to try again, just to be sure you didn't skip one, or forget to turn the volume back on before telling it "No."

Keep in mind, not all TVs are supported. So, it might not be a bug. It might be simple incompatibility.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos