Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kronstedt
Level 7

Enhanced Remote - no mute button???

Who thought this was a good idea on the product dev team?  At least put out a firmware patch where holding down the volume down button will mute the TV.

#productfail

Tags (2)
10 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Enhanced Remote - no mute button???

Have 4 Roku TVs.  If I've ever used the mute button it was 100% on accident.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I use the button quite a bit. Not daily, but close to it. The remotes that come with TV's have mute buttons, so I'm not sure why the enhanced ones that probably cost more, can't included mute.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Since I only use my Roku remote to control the Roku itself, along with the volume of my AVR, I can't see the need for a mute button. I will pause streaming if I need it muted. Of course, if the Roku remote is being used to control an AVR or TV, but not the Roku itself, then I can see a need for a mute button. But I have to say, a Roku remote is not my idea of a universal control device. There's too many buttons lacking, mute being only one of many. Besides, is it even possible to control a TV with a Roku remote without the Roku forcing the TV/AVR to change inputs and display the Roku? If you disable CEC to stop that, does the other remote functions even work? I admit I don't have any Roku remote that is capable of controlling other devices, other than through CEC, so perhaps there's some functionality I'm not aware of.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
Since I only use my Roku remote to control the Roku itself, along with the volume of my AVR, I can't see the need for a mute button. I will pause streaming if I need it muted. Of course, if the Roku remote is being used to control an AVR or TV, but not the Roku itself, then I can see a need for a mute button. But I have to say, a Roku remote is not my idea of a universal control device. There's too many buttons lacking, mute being only one of many. Besides, is it even possible to control a TV with a Roku remote without the Roku forcing the TV/AVR to change inputs and display the Roku? If you disable CEC to stop that, does the other remote functions even work? I admit I don't have any Roku remote that is capable of controlling other devices, other than through CEC, so perhaps there's some functionality I'm not aware of.

By the way, Roku remotes won't control AVR, just TV. My understanding is that Roku uses IR for the TV power and volume controls.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

The point being, if you can buy an enhanced remote, and it can control your TV volumez why not just add the mute button like the Roku TV remotes have? I guess I'm confused as to why a mute button wouldn't make sense to you..

Let's say I'm watching live TV (either thru cable/antenna or thru a live TV streamer service) and the phone rings.. I would like to talk on the phone and still kind of watch tv at the same time, and my Roku remote is right there in front of me.. why not have the ability to mute?

Roku gives the ability to Roku TV owner's like me, but if I want to to upgrade to the enhanced widi remote with voice search, I lose the mute button (but keep the volume buttons?).. weird.

"atc98092" wrote:
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

"DBDukes" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

By the way, Roku remotes won't control AVR, just TV. My understanding is that Roku uses IR for the TV power and volume controls.

As a very generalized blanket statement, that is not necessarily true.

The non-IR enhanced remotes will control many an AVR directly via CEC. The newer IR capable enhanced remotes can have the IR disabled, reverting volume and power control back to CEC. I just posted a thread on how to accomplish that:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=138565

If you poke around in that RF Remote Menu, you'll also find some interesting stuff, such as the fact that you can force the Roku to poll for an AVR instead of a TV. There is also a "Mute" test, which is interesting since the enhanced remotes don't have a mute button (obviously, that's why we're in this thread), however when I tested it with my 4630 it did indeed mute my AVR.

Point being, sometimes things are not as they appear on the surface, nor are all of Roku's statements definitive.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"jeffrok" wrote:
The point being, if you can buy an enhanced remote, and it can control your TV volumez why not just add the mute button like the Roku TV remotes have? I guess I'm confused as to why a mute button wouldn't make sense to you..

Let's say I'm watching live TV (either thru cable/antenna or thru a live TV streamer service) and the phone rings.. I would like to talk on the phone and still kind of watch tv at the same time, and my Roku remote is right there in front of me.. why not have the ability to mute?

Roku gives the ability to Roku TV owner's like me, but if I want to to upgrade to the enhanced widi remote with voice search, I lose the mute button (but keep the volume buttons?).. weird.

"atc98092" wrote:

It sounds like the new enhanced remotes have abilities that I'm not familiar with. With the scenario you describe, it makes perfect sense to have a mute button. And I agree that since the Roku TV remotes have one, it wouldn't be that much work to have included one in these new remotes. 
And Dukes, my remote certainly will control my AVR via CEC. It will power the AVR on, switch the AVR and TV inputs as necessary, and control the volume of the AVR.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
And Dukes, my remote certainly will control my AVR via CEC. It will power the AVR on, switch the AVR and TV inputs as necessary, and control the volume of the AVR.

Good to know. I seem to recall Roku saying (in documentation, I think) that it would only control TVs, not AVR. Thanks for the info.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
galfaqih
Level 7

Removing the mute button on an otherwise high quality remote is thoughtless. A mute button is just as important as volume buttons. I had to purchase lower quality remotes just for the mute button.
0 Kudos