Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Remote draining batteries

I think I have found out why the batteries get drained so fast.  I put in new batteries in late December 2019.

Yesterday (Feb 1 2020) winter weather caused the power in my house to go out for a few hours.  When the power came back on I tried to turn on my TV using the Roku remote (TV showed that it had power).  The remote did not work...  I tried to pair it as it didn't show up in the Roku menus (thanks to using the iPhone Roku app as a remote).  Pairing failed and the button on the remote to pair never caused the flashing LED to light up.  Swapped out the batteries and immediately the remote paired.  Funny that all the instructions for pairing say put in new batteries.

When power is lost, I believe the Roku remote continuously attempts to talk to the Roku Stick and expends a lot of power.  I also wonder if the Roku remote expends more energy the further away it is from the Roku Stick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Enhanced Remote is draining batteries

get a 3.5 ac adapter, cut the connector, insert the +end to the + battery and the - to the other battery; the lower the battery the better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra remote batteries drain on a daily basis

If you don't see battery life problems on the remote, I'm betting that you're not use an Enhanced Voice remote with the headphones plugged into it. 

A remote that just sends (IR or RF) when you push a button (and possibly talk) is not facing the same energy demand as one that allows you to plug in headphones.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Remote (with AA batteries, headphone jack, mic etc.) draining batteries like crazy!

Many people keep reporting the same issue.

They are all using private listening and seeing batteries drain quick,

Many times you ask them to PM you with more information, and you never post a solution.

I've bought the Roku TV, and then I bought the speaker/remote package only to find that still didn't support headphones. So now I'm looking at various headphone solutions because using a smartphone for headphone listening isn't practical. You're not giving me confidence that spending more money on a Roku remote, or anything else with the name Roku will be a good investment.

Obviously a remote that is providing sound output is going to be a power drain, but how do you make sure the power management is properly shutting things down when the user isn't using it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Roku Remote (with AA batteries, headphone jack, mic etc.) draining batteries like crazy!

The only resolution is a new remote, what it takes to get a new remote is personal info, persons address and such which shouldn't be done out in the open, that's why they ask you to send a pm and it goes on from there, it would be nice if after they receive a new remote more would come back give feedback. But they don't. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Battery life is extremely Poor, Why?

Battery life is extremely Poor, Why? ... less than 5 days before having to change, our Xfinity remote last more than 3 months! Anyone know a Phone # that can be called, not good corporate image or customer service when customers are ignored by lack of contact. Also instructions are very poor with the ROKU  when Box is opened! And Web-site no better!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Battery life is extremely Poor, Why?

@GDNH-2 

Thanks for the inquiry. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

New Roku Ultra Remote Draining Batteries

My Roku Ultra is only two months old and has already drained 3 sets of new batteries. How can I get a replacement?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: New Roku Ultra Remote Draining Batteries

First question: do you use the private listening earbud jack on the remote? If so, leaving the earbuds plugged in will drain the batteries in days. Even if you unplug them when not in use, simply using that feature will drain the batteries far faster, as it's running the audio amplifier as well as the remote itself. 

If that's not the issue, send a private message to @RokuDanny-R or @RokuTannerD with your device's serial number and your Roku account email address and they can assist. Please don't post that personal information here in the forum itself. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New Roku Ultra Remote Draining Batteries

@Tuttle723 

Thanks for the inquiry.

As @atc98092 mentioned, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos