Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Premiere_4630
Level 10

Enhanced Remote: How to get AVR volume control back

If you've got an Enhanced Remote that features IR control of the TV power/volume, and you'd rather have the volume buttons control an AVR, give this a try:

• Let the Enhanced Remote pair normally, including controlling TV volume

• Go into the Platform Secret Screen: Home x5, FWD, PLAY, REW, PLAY, FWD

• Go into RF Remote Menu

• Go into IR transmit menu

• Go into Universal CEC Menu...

• Select Use CEC instead of IR (and update remo...

• Verify that the volume buttons now control the AVR instead of the TV, and verify that the power button can still turn the TV on/off
18 Replies
Highlighted
RokuDale
Level 9

Re: Enhanced Remote: How to get AVR volume control back

That will work as long as you have System Audio Control working between your TV and the AVR.IE if your TV remote controls the AVR volume then the Roku remote should do as well.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you for these instructions.  I have spent days trying to figure out why my old Roku 3 remotes would control my my soundbar's volume and my new Roku Ultra remote would not.

In case I ever alter my system configuration, how would I switch the remote back to using IR instead of CEC?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
picklepot
Level 7

Has anyone tried this with the new 2019 Roku ultra? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TomMCE
Level 7

Yes.  This worked on my Roku Ultra 2019.  I spent a few days trying to figure out how to fix the problem until I found these instructions.  Switching to CEC control should be an option in the remote setup function.

@picklepot wrote:

Has anyone tried this with the new 2019 Roku ultra? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Holocron
Level 9

This menu setting does now appear on the TCL TV with a paired current version EVR. I can't figure out how to get it to transmit IR at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Holocron
Level 9

For anyone following this topic, support informs me that when any of the enhanced RF/IR remotes pair to a TCL (and likely any other brand) TV, the IR functionality of the remote is automatically disabled. There is no way to turn it back on while paired with a TV by RF.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Not every tv, just Roku Tv's that have RF  circuitry built-in, which most TV's don't have. So when paired with Roku tv, the tv controls are Wifi for TV power, and Volume. With non-Roku tv like Samsung or Sony it would control them be IR.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Holocron
Level 9

Sure, that's a valid point. However, it would be nice--I suppose--if Roku would allow you to still utilize the IR functionality rather than disabling it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

I like searching the roku IR commands for new channels like Apple tv, which hasn't shown up. There are only 256 available commands per Setup code in UEI made universal remotes. You can search Roku commands, and search Roku TV commands they're different. While using UEI made Inteset 422 remote on my Roku Ultra I came across IR commands for tv Power, Volume UP & Down, and mute. I mapped these commands to keys on the Inteset remote, they work on my TCL Roku tv. But they didn't work on Insignia or Hisense Roku tv's in other rooms. All three brands use the same code set. And when I unplugged the Ultra they stopped working on my TCL Roku tv. So what I figured out is these are IR commands when roku sees them it triggers hdmi cec signal to the tv its attached to. If hdmi cec is turned off these commands no longer work. I don't have AVR or Sound bar to attach to see if the hdmi cec would control them too.

Edmund
0 Kudos