Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Enhanced Remote: How to get AVR volume control back

Which Roku device are you pairing the remote with?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Update:  For future reference, the list of brands does include Outlaw Audio.

If anyone could possibly check whether, after selecting "Enable Querying AVRs" in the platform menu, the list of brands includes Outlaw Audio, I would really really appreciate it.  It's not that big a brand, so my guess is it's not one of the included codes.  But if it is, that would be a pleasant surprise.

(I can't check this myself because I only have a Roku Express, which doesn't have universal buttons.  Thinking of getting an Ultra though, but hope to answer this question before deciding.)

If that brand isn't listed, is there a way to just cycle through and look for codes that may work?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

[It would sure be great if Roku could just make this a learning remote.  Since it's just three commands to learn, that seems far more efficient than the setup by brand process.]

Highlighted
Level 9

[It would sure be great if Roku could just make this a learning remote.  Since it's just three commands to learn, that seems far more efficient than the setup by brand process.]

Ha ha ha! Good one!

Highlighted
Level 7

@Holocron wrote:

For anyone following this topic, support informs me that when any of the enhanced RF/IR remotes pair to a TCL (and likely any other brand) TV, the IR functionality of the remote is automatically disabled. There is no way to turn it back on while paired with a TV by RF.

@Holocron 
I'm glad someone realizes this. It's so frustrating that the IR capability is disabled when paired. WHY CAN'T THEY KEEP THE IR ENABLED?? I recently purchased a TCL roku TV and wanted it connected to my Pioneer AVR.

First I was disappointed that I couldn't just teach the Roku remote the IR codes for the AVR. I thought I was about to outsmart it by hooking up a TSOP IR Receiver module to a microcontroller to capture the IR codes sent from the Roku remote. The idea was to capture the volume up/down/mute codes, interpret them, then send out the corresponding Pioneer AVR codes via IR LED to control the AVR volume.

Low & behold, the IR LED is disabled as soon as the TV is powered on / remote is paired. I've been scouring the internet for solutions to force the IR on but can't find anything. I really thought I would be able to via all the 'secret' menu's that roku has, but nope. 

Holocron, please keep me updated if you happen to find a workaround. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Your Roku tv may be Wifi remote, but that doesn't stop your roku tv from still accepting IR commands, just the wifi remote stops emitting them once paired. Go to ebay and buy a IR Roku tv remote, if the remote has a power key and a crescent moon key where the microphone key is on your remote it is for sure Roku tv IR remote. The following Roku tv brands all accept the same IR commands they include, Tcl, Insignia, Sanyo, Element, Westinghouse, Magnavox, Philips, Rca, Jvc, Onn, Haier, and Hitachi. If you have one of the above stay away from Hisense & Sharp which use completely different IR code set. 

You should look into the One-For-All urc-7935 Streamer universal remote, they work great on Roku tv and accept codes for Audio devices like receivers and soundbars. Here's picture next to Roku tv remote:P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@Gonads3137 

If you have any older programmable remotes that can be programmed for TV's, try either Admiral/Dynex tv codes or Goldstar/Lg tv codes they will control all Roku tv's, and you can use that remote to teach your devices the IR commands. Or just unplug the power from your tv, your roku wifi remote will start emitting IR for the roku commands and you can use it to teach whatever. Plugging the roku tv back and roku remote will again communicate via wifi. But the tv will also accept IR from your device you taught the commands to. 

Edmund
0 Kudos