Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Enhanced Remote: How to get AVR volume control back

@Beckster wrote:

I tried this and did not find anything on the secret menu associated with remotes.  Is this no longer available?

If you are trying to pair this with a ROKU TV it will disable the IR functions completely when you pair with the TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Here is how I was able to get the volume and mute buttons on the remote that came with my Roku Ultra 2019 to work with my 2008 Harmon/Kardon AVR 354 receiver that does not have CEC capability, so I am not using CEC instead of IR.

- Go into the Platform Secret Screen as the OP said.

- Go into RF Remote Menu, and then IR transmit menu.  Move down to "Enable Querying AVRs (instead of TVs)" and hit OK.  After doing this, if you go to Universal IR Menu... (which is in the IR transmit menu) you will see it now says total AVR brands instead of total TV brands.  Now hit the Home button.

- Go to Settings, Remotes & devices, Remote (In use), Set up remote for TV control.  Hit OK.

- Even though it says TV brand, start searching for your audio device.

- I found Harmon/Kardon and hit OK.  The menu then asked if music was playing.  I selected Yes.

- Then it asks if music has stopped playing (in my case music was still playing).  I selected No.

- It then said "Trying TV code 1."  I noticed that the music had stopped, so I selected Yes, the music stopped playing.

- It then stated success, and that the remote was now setup to control this TV's power and volume.  I clicked OK, and noticed that the volume buttons on the ROKU remote now control my receiver's volume.  The mute button also works, but the power button does not.  No matter how many codes I tried, the power button wouldn't work, but in reality, I was only caring about the volume and mute buttons.

- It is interesting that the remote has this capability, but ROKU doesn't want to make it easy to get to, which is why it is in the Platform Secret Screen.  Most people won't know about this or want to mess with it.  And I only found out about the Platform Secret Screen because I did a Google search and the OP gave instructions on getting into it.  Also, it was interesting looking at other items in this screen, like the Wireless Secret Screen.

Anyway, hope this can help someone else get their ROKU volume buttons to work with their audio equipment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

E

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Reason the power doesn't work for you HK receiver, every HK receiver ever made had two-key power scheme, one key for ON, and another for OFF. There is no power toggle for HK receiver, so with the single power button on the roku remote, it can't do both on & off. You might find one code that has the ON command while another has the OFF. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the info.  Yes, I thought that was possibly the issue.  I notice that my remote that came with the HK has separate ON and OFF buttons.  Never understood why Harmon did it this way.  It causes an issue with my cable remote.  My cable remote has an AUX button that I have tied to the receiver.  It can turn the receiver off but not on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

That's all great. But it still doesn't work for TCL Roku TV's. As soon as the Enhanced Remote is paired to the TV the IR functionality of the remote is deactivated by Roku.

Why? Who knows. Roku refuses to answer or address this topic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

The IR is deactivated for Roku tv's on purpose, because it now controls the tv power, volume and mute by wifi. Always has, nothing changed.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Yes, I'm aware of that.

However, many audio devices still require IR control. And these devices are connected to the TV. It would be useful if IR functions were still allowed, when connected by RF to the Roku OS/TV, so that the remote can control volume and mute on these devices via IR when this function is turned off on the TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you for this! This worked perfect and fixed my problem. If you can't get your remote to work with your volume that you want I suggest you do try this you can always switch back.

0 Kudos