Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Enhanced Remote: How to get AVR volume control back

Assuming the AVR/Soundbar has HDMI/ARC IN available.

But, this is an interesting point and I will re-enable CEC to see if this forces the RC411 to start issuing IR again. I doubt it will.

Highlighted
Level 19

If you take your rc411 remote and point it at camera of your cellphone pressing a key won't show any flashes because its communicating by wifi, right? Now unplug the Roku its paired with, and do the same trick with the camera, you will see flashes for all commands even roku.

So if you were to factory reset the roku rc411 is paired to it wouldn't be paired with it after reset, and so would be back to being IR only.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Thinking about it, the above wouldn't help, even if you were to get the rc411 back to IR only, the Roku IR commands wouldn't control a Roku TV, but instead Roku console like an Ultra. The only way to get rc411 to control a roku tv is pairing it. Smiley Sad

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

However, if the RC411 was allow by Roku to pair with the TV by RF and then allow the IR to be coded separately, this would certainly work. This, in fact, is how it would work with the Ultra while connected to a non-Roku TV. It's not a one or the other situations. The RF and IR can work in tandem. Disabling the IR is an intentional action by Roku at this point.

I get that they're doing this as a way to try to "force" customers to "upgrade" to a Roku/TCL/ soundbar. But allowing this functionality would be a welcomed options for long time customers that may have "older" non-Roku AV gear. They'd certainly sell more remotes, I think.

Highlighted
Level 7

I have a Roku Ultra 4640 with the ES100 remote.
I tried the keys to get into the "Platform Secret Screen" menu as suggested, but nothing happens.
I do not see a "RF Remote Menu"

Yes, I can get into the Settings menu

While there if I select the Remote menu I see the entry for the remote to control volume.

It is greyed out and the screen entry tells me that volume control is not supported.

Hmm, I wonder why they put the volume control buttons on it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

You're awesome! Thank you for the piles of aspirin I was getting ready take for the migraine developing trying to figure this out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@MauriceH  The remote that was sold with that model of Roku device is not able to control TV power and volume functions. Our remotes that offer this feature were not offered at that time, and were not available until the next generation of streaming players were released. You can check out replacement accessory remotes on our website here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player Your model of Roku device is compatible with the Roku Enhanced Voice Remote. 

To clarify though, even our newer remotes that offer TV power and volume control are not intended to directly control a connected A/V receiver. They were designed to work with your TV. The only functionality available that may allow you to control your connected receiver's volume would be via HDMI CEC, which would need to be enabled on both your TV and A/V receiver. When you send volume commands, etc. to your TV, it relays this command to a connected A/V receiver via HDMI CEC, and may allow you to control the volume. This is not supported on all makes and models of TVs, even those that offer CEC functionality.

See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/115012968247-can-i-control-my-tv-with-the-remote-for-my-roku-stream...

Hope that helps! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@JayDZimmerman wrote:
In case I ever alter my system configuration, how would I switch the remote back to using IR instead of CEC?

in the "universal IR menu" (above the "universal CEC menu") , "use this codeset" does the job. 

you can test the codes and cycle through more options in a much more sane method than the one that the "setup this remote for your tv" does, as well.

similarly, there's a "Enable Querying AVRs (instead of TVs)"  - then in the IR menu you'll see AVR codes (assuming connected to an AVR), and you might have more more IR options.   

in my case with my Onkyo RZ710, CEC and IR (querying AVR) both worked fine with vol/mute, but no luck with power (off).   power only worked if I used IR codeset 1 querying for TV (but that IR hit my TV, so audio didnt work)

At least this means the new remotes can at least behave the same as the old remotes - though the stupid voice button in the OK position is still painful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@RokuTannerD wrote:

To clarify though, even our newer remotes that offer TV power and volume control are not intended to directly control a connected A/V receiver. They were designed to work with your TV. The only functionality available that may allow you to control your connected receiver's volume would be via HDMI CEC,

This is inaccurate. Many A/V receivers, such as my current sound bar, take IR input for audio control (aka volume up/down/mute.) Using the RC411 remote as an example, it is entirely capable of simultaneous RF and IR control--which is what happens when it is paired with a Roku Ultra, for example. It uses RF for the Roku and IR for TV/Audio control.

There is, to my knowledge, no good reason why similar functionality cannot happen with Roku TVs (essentially a Roku Ultra) and A/V (soundbar) devices. This is an artificial limitation imposed on users by Roku. It should be entirely possibly to us RF to control the Roku TV functionality except Audio and then to use the IR to control the audio via the A/V Device.

Highlighted
Level 7

I tried this and did not find anything on the secret menu associated with remotes.  Is this no longer available?

0 Kudos