Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Dueling remotes, Roku solution

Jump to solution

I have 2 Vizio TV's and two Roku boxes side by side. The idea being, so I can watch one TV and monitor the other, like old picture in picture, but better. I have a 4k Roku Ultra 2018 model I think, and a Premier Plus Roku 2018, on the small set. My Vizio remotes fight like cats and dogs; even point in opposite direction, and remotes affect both sets. Once they are on, and input selected, I can pair the Roku remotes to each TV; and get separation with the Roku remotes RF pairing. However, only the Roku "gaming remote" for the big set and the Ultra box, seems to separate the TV features on the Roku remote. When I pair the small TV, with the Premier voice remote; it turns on both TV's and volume. The Ultra gaming remote operates only the big set, like I want. So, I am thinking maybe a second gaming remote, might pair with the small set, and keep it from working both sets, like the gaming remote that came with my Roku Ultra. What is different about the "Ultra gaming voice remote" that came with my 2018 Roku Ultra; and the non gaming voice remote, that came with the Premier+ 2018 Roku? Aside from the two gaming buttons on bottom. Both are voice remotes, both have RF pairing(the button in battery case). I am thinking maybe, if I can find another "gaming remote" like my 2018Ultra; it may operate just the small TV, not both TV's like I have now. This is the only gamers remote I see, and it says for Roku 2 and 3? I would like to pair another original 2018 Ultra remote; with my small set and Roku Premier+ box; and see if I can keep both sets from coming on at the same time. 

$

Roku® Gaming Remote
With voice search
Packed with features like voice search and a headphone jack for Private Listening, this simple point-anywhere remote for players features gaming buttons and supports motion control for games.

Compatible with:

Roku 2 (Only model 4210)Roku 3
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Dueling remotes, Roku solution

Jump to solution

Tape on the one set; would force the RF to take precedence only; which may well work. I was thinking it may block the the RF as well; but it would not, because the RF uses the router to communicate, not the IR sensor at all. That likely will work, to force only RF. Why do you suppose, that the the bigger set, seems to only use the RF signal? Do you think maybe, because the small set is a cheaper item; it does not have as many features, FIRMWARE MAYBE, or even processor capabilities? I have updated Frimware. Perhaps the big set, it knows to take the RF, if a a router is connected, and ignore the IR; and may allow the IR, if the Lan line is used? Makes sense on a bigger set, better set. Both are late model, the small one may be last year. That would account for both learning remotes being the same, but acting different; which is what I think you are saying; that both the gamer remote, and the Premier+remote; transmit both IR and RF the same way, no difference in the transmission at all? Even though the small TV has full Network capability, and a smart capabilities; it may not have exactly the same capabilities. The big TV, seems to be ignoring the IR then.  The Roku functions, would separate, do to different Mac address, etc. If both Roku remotes(gamer and non gamer) broadcast the same tandom signals, the exact way; then has to be the TV, is smarter. Ignores the IR, if RF is present and a Wireless connection? I will certainly try this with the dumb TV, only way to separate that one likely. Because it is not the remote, it is the TV's are Dumb, and dumber....or smart and smarter I guess. Okay, thank you, great advice. If anyone knows Vizio TV's, if they are able to ignore the IR like this; please confirm. Big one is M series.          

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

While your remotes use WiFi Direct, they also have IR emitters. That's what is likely affecting the one TV. Try putting some opaque tape across the end of the one remote and see if it stops controlling the unwanted TV.

But I think you can also pair that older Ultra remote to the Premiere+ as well if you want to try that. However, it too has an IR emitter, so still might do the same thing. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Tape on the one set; would force the RF to take precedence only; which may well work. I was thinking it may block the the RF as well; but it would not, because the RF uses the router to communicate, not the IR sensor at all. That likely will work, to force only RF. Why do you suppose, that the the bigger set, seems to only use the RF signal? Do you think maybe, because the small set is a cheaper item; it does not have as many features, FIRMWARE MAYBE, or even processor capabilities? I have updated Frimware. Perhaps the big set, it knows to take the RF, if a a router is connected, and ignore the IR; and may allow the IR, if the Lan line is used? Makes sense on a bigger set, better set. Both are late model, the small one may be last year. That would account for both learning remotes being the same, but acting different; which is what I think you are saying; that both the gamer remote, and the Premier+remote; transmit both IR and RF the same way, no difference in the transmission at all? Even though the small TV has full Network capability, and a smart capabilities; it may not have exactly the same capabilities. The big TV, seems to be ignoring the IR then.  The Roku functions, would separate, do to different Mac address, etc. If both Roku remotes(gamer and non gamer) broadcast the same tandom signals, the exact way; then has to be the TV, is smarter. Ignores the IR, if RF is present and a Wireless connection? I will certainly try this with the dumb TV, only way to separate that one likely. Because it is not the remote, it is the TV's are Dumb, and dumber....or smart and smarter I guess. Okay, thank you, great advice. If anyone knows Vizio TV's, if they are able to ignore the IR like this; please confirm. Big one is M series.          

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@tiltmonster wrote:

No, tape will not block the RF. And no, the RF does not use the router/network to communicate between the remote and the player. That's why it's called WiFi Direct, it's a direct connection between the remote and the player. Why one appears to be using RF only is hard to say. But if the Roku is not in line of sight with the remote, then RF is the only way they can communicate. IR requires a clear line of sight. And remember that the TVs are IR only, so there's no way to control the TVs independently, since they will both see the IR signal, regardless of remote used. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

As for the 29.99 Gaming remote it doesn't have TV IR controls at all, its the original remote shipped with roku 3. Althrough it might be able to control tv volume by hdmi cec, no power or mute. That feature only worked with handful of tv brands.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

So, where can I get an original "gaming voice remote" remote for the 2018 Ultra. The one with Netflix and Sling over Hulu and Vudu. For some very odd reason; this remote only operates the big Vizio TV. However there is a catch; last night I found, this is only the case, when you have the start up for the small TV; in Eco start-up mode. I have no idea why, but when I put the little Vizio in Eco start mode...then use the big TV with the roku remote dedicated to that TV and box; the small TV does not come on with the big one. I Put the small TV, in fast start-up mode......and now both TV's come on with the Big TV's roku remote. 

If I could get the "gaming remote" that came with the 2018 Roku Ultra; I am wondering if maybe it would act the same way; and maybe not turn the big set on, when I try and turn the small one on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@tiltmonster wrote:

So, where can I get an original "gaming voice remote" remote for the 2018 Ultra. The one with Netflix and Sling over Hulu and Vudu.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

All Roku wifi remotes with tv controls are going to act the same as your two vizio oem remotes and control both tv at the same time, one roku has nothing different over another roku remote. If something is changing then its vizio tv not the roku remotes. You have two Wifi roku remotes with tv controls, the Ultra RC-AL4 which has the headphone jack, and the RC-AL2 remote from Premiere +, you do not need a new remote at all, you really need different brand of second tv. Something like Panasonic, Sony, or Samsung, none will have remote conflict with your vizio.

So I did an experiment, I took the lone Roku 3 Gaming remote I have left and paired it to my 2019 Roku Ultra 4670, which the Ultra is connected to my 43" TCL Roku Tv. And suddenly the headphone volume keys on the side of gaming remote was controlling the volume of the tv, rest of the keys have no effect on the tv, they only control the ultra. So get a couple of those $29.99 Gaming remotes pair them to Ultra and Premiere +, and allow the HDMI CEC to control the volume of their respective vizio tv. No more conflict, since the remote don't have tv IR controls.  Of course there won't be any tv power command or mute, because the gaming remote lacks those keys.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, this tape solution was no solution; and only took away the operation of the big TV IR controls; which is even worse. I need those to switch inputs, and operate TV functions even more than the small one. The big set is more important. Putting tape on the roku remote for the small set(premier+ roku) shut it down, no operation of that Roku, which is odd if it is putting out RF as well. This whole deal is a feedback loop, crazy chaos; where every fix, adds 2 new problems. It is not just that I am trying to mix Google with Roku here; likely part of the deal, since they are competitors; but I have an issue at every turn, and I am not using Chromecast. At least not for most things. I have it down to this. My big vizio with the Roku Ultra; it works like I want entirely, as long as I have the small TV in ECO start mode. Take the small set out of Eco start mode; and this Roku gamer remote, turns both TV's on also. I have no idea why; maybe the Vizio does not like people who use Roku and don't save energy?? Well, nothing else makes sense. I guess it could be a timing issue, that the Eco mode affects, but that does not make real sense. I can live with this, I am cool with eco mode on the small set. Now the only problems with the big set-up and using it left; are about 3. My universal, which is programed for the Vizio remote that came with big TV; wants to turn the device on, with the device button on the remote only(may be a remote issue, but don't recall this before with my Sony); not select the device, then function like on or off. So, when I grab my universal remote, and hit the TV device button; there goes the small TV on. Grrrrr.....Solution to that; cover the IR with hand, when picking the TV device; then I can control the big Vizio TV functions like OTA, and inputs. However, there are two more buttons on the big TV remote, and Universal; that turn on the small TV. I suspect it is the CRC control feedback loop. The "free TV" button that launches Pluto on the Big vizio remote and universal; turns the small TV on...........and the "home" button same thing. These are the big TV operation issues.
   Then when I want to operate the little vizio, no way to get it on with remote, because the Roku(non gamer voice remote) for the small Vizio and Premier roku; does not work the way the ultra gamer remote does. I even tired setting the big TV "start up" to that "Eco start" setting; does not work for the big set and the Premier Roku remote, for the small set. So, if I want to watch the small set, I have to hit the on button on back; not so bad easy to do. I also have to switch my inputs here. Once I am in Roku input mode; I can use the Premier Roku remote(non gamer) to run Roku pretty normal. The Roku controls don't clash at all for either remote. 
I am seriously starting to wonder; if Vizio via CRC, is somehow causing some of this chaos. I am not an expert, and may be a reason I can't see; but why would the Roku gamer Remote, care one bit; if the small VIZIO starts in Eco Mode or fast start.....and how does that one setting, make the gamer Roku remote operate both sets, when in "fast start mode"...but not eco start. That is wacky! I am reaching way out here; but maybe Vizio Google does not like Roku users, who don't use Eco? Maybe it is a timing issue some how; but this detail fascinates me. I swear, no doubt about it; I turn the small Vizio to "ECO mode start" and the gamer roku remote for the big Vizio and Ultra Roku, only turns the big TV on. I go in the small Vizio TV, and change the "Eco start" to "fast start up" and the same remote turns on both TV's. Could be a fluke, but an odd one. Usually performance improves when taken out of an Eco setting, not more conflict. Part of my problem, is no doubt; trying to use two same brand TV's. But it also seems some other things working against me. I never would have thought, buying two same brand TV's would be such chaos; but I am not using Chromecast for most stuff. It is an ugly operation; but once dialed in looks pretty sweet. Roku is actually helping the situation perhaps; but everything else seems to be working against me. At least the one "gamer remote" does not turn on both sets; that is about the best I can say, with the the entire operation, and the Rokus operate separate, for Roku  apps and settings. It would have been so much easier if TCL had made a 70" TV in the series 6, but no go. I could not lift a 75 by myself; so settled for 12 zone dimming and quantum color Vizio instead. Looks decent; but operation wtih Roku, is very poor, on top of dueling remotes.    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Edmund
0 Kudos