Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marriedgeek
Level 7

Dog ate my RC-193/AL4 enhanced remote. What's the cheapest equivalent?

Jump to solution

I actually can't tell if it's a RC-193 (as indicated by the About section for the remote on the Roku) or RC-AL4 (as indicated by the model number on the chewed remote). All I know is it came with my Roku Ultra.

What's the cheapest replacement. It doesn't even need voice - just the volume controls were handy, and the ability to not have to point to a TV was nice. Will the newer enhanced remotes work with a Roku 2 (4210X). Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Dog ate my RC-193/AL4 enhanced remote. What's the cheapest equivalent?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

The Roku Gaming Remote will work with your Roku 2 if you are looking for a point-anywhere remote replacement, otherwise the Roku Standard IR remote will work as well.

For more information on these remotes and their compatibility, you can visit our accessories support page Player Accessories.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

The Roku Gaming Remote will work with your Roku 2 if you are looking for a point-anywhere remote replacement, otherwise the Roku Standard IR remote will work as well.

For more information on these remotes and their compatibility, you can visit our accessories support page Player Accessories.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
marriedgeek
Level 7

Jump to solution
Thanks. Does the cheaper voice remote (the $19.99 version) not work? Is it a different protocol for connectivity than the gaming one?
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

Jump to solution

If I recall correctly, the $19 Roku Voice Remote is a BlueTooth device while the $29 Roku Gaming Remote is a WiFi Direct device.  It may be possible the model 4210 Roku does not do BT pairing in favor of being designed to only do WiFi direct or InfraRed.

Make sure you found both batteries or if you haven't then take the dog to the vet.  Batteries are extremely toxic!

0 Kudos
marriedgeek
Level 7

Jump to solution
Ah... good point. I assumed it was also wifi direct. Seems the gaming one is what I need.

Edit: dog is fine. Didnt even touch the batteries after they fell out. He ate the remote next to a basket full of dog toys.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@fluke wrote:

If I recall correctly, the $19 Roku Voice Remote is a BlueTooth device while the $29 Roku Gaming Remote is a WiFi Direct device. 

The only Roku player that used Bluetooth was the 2 XS (very old, and now unsupported player), so there's no voice remote that uses BT. The Voice Remote, Enhanced Voice Remote and Gaming Remote all use WiFi Direct, although I believe they also support IR use. The Standard IR Remote is IR only. 

According to the Roku wiki page, the model 4210 is IR only, so while the voice remotes may work to control the player, the voice function won't work, as that requires WiFi Direct support. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Jump to solution

The 19.99 voice remote will work fine, as long as you know its a smaller remote, thinner and it doesn't have headphone jack.

0 Kudos
marriedgeek
Level 7

Jump to solution

I do know that my Roku 2 4210X does support wifi-direct (it was paired and obviously worked without having to point at it) as well as the voice functionality, as my kids use it all the time. This particular remote came from a Roku Ultra that I had purchased (and since shuffled the remotes around). I was just looking for the cheapest replacement. 

It sounds like the $19 voice remote should work fine, as long as it is in fact wifi-direct as well. Thanks!

0 Kudos
marriedgeek
Level 7

Jump to solution

Perfect. Didn't need the headphone jack. All I need is volume control for the TV and wifi-direct... even the voice functionality is more of a nice-to-have. Thanks!

0 Kudos