Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rdm81563
Reel Rookie

Do all Roku’s drain remote batteries so fast?

My #Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series) remote went through new batteries about every 3 months (average use; never used the headphones feature). I read here that it was a#Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series) specific problem, so I replaced it with an #Roku Ultra (4800 series) about 10 weeks ago.  Just got the low battery warning yesterday.  I’ve exclusively used Roku’s since 2011 and never had this problem until I bought a Stick+ in 2019. Now I replace batteries in my remotes every 2 to 3 months without fail.  Is there any fix for this?  It’s super frustrating b/c the Stick+ worked fine except for the remote’s battery issue and I effectively wasted $$ on a product that does the exact same thing. 

Labels (1)
93 REPLIES 93
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Do all Roku’s drain remote batteries so fast?

Hi @Rdm81563

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

It looks like your remotes aren't affected by the rapid battery drain issue on some of the Roku models. Please be advised that for normal use, the remote battery may indeed last for two months or longer. Most reports we are receiving that are related to battery drain only last for days or weeks.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Rdm81563
Reel Rookie

I appreciate your quick reply.  My understanding from your reply is that it is normal for me to have to replace the batteries every 2-3 weeks in my Stick+ and every 8-9 weeks in my Ultra. Is that correct?

If so, who may I contact to request a refund for my Ultra (purchased 2 months ago)?  I am extremely dissatisfied with these products after owning no other streaming device but Roku’s for 10+ years. 

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Rdm81563

Apologies for the confusion.

Based on my understanding and on your post above, you're changing your batteries every 2 to 3 months. If you are replacing them in 2 to 3 weeks, we'd love to help you out.

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be viewed by navigating to Settings > System > About.

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jex
Binge Watcher

Why does my voice remote with Xfinity require a replacement once every few years with daily usage? Are you guys listening to us 24/7 for ad rev?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@jex 

My Roku remotes, all WiFi Direct remotes, work well and only need batteries to be changed after several months. No idea why yours doesn't perform as well.

Now, I never use the voice feature, and I never use the headphones, so that might make a difference.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jex
Binge Watcher

I don’t use the voice feature either, I was making a comparison with a brand that I do use the voice remote with and Xfinity’s XR11 and XR15 lasts me at least 2-4 years on two double AA’s

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@jex 

Then it sounds like your usage of the Roku remote is similar to mine. And, as I mentioned, I go many months before needing to replace the batteries. And, yes, I use my Roku daily. Why your experience is different, I have no idea, as you've ruled out the usual suspects. And, though you didn't answer the questions, I'll assume you have something other than a Roku Express or Premiere, as those came with IR remotes, not WiFi remotes.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Rdm81563
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your help!  The serial number is X0100087JMJX

Troberson47
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue of drained battery on my remote within weeks.  Am using the ROKU stick with a purchased ROKU voice remote.

0 Kudos