Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable voice remote feature

Is there a way to disable the voice feature on the remote? 

7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Disable voice remote feature

I've never seen any menu setting for controlling the voice function. But if you don't press the mic button it's not listening. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Thanks for responding atc98092. I went into Settings and it said it was listening. I attempted to find an on/off toggle, but I couldn’t find one. Maybe it’s not actually listening until I hit the mic button on the remote? 

0 Kudos
atc98092

I was always under the impression that the mic button has to be pressed for anything to happen. I don't think it's like an Amazon Echo device that always has a hot mic. If someone knows otherwise, I'd love to hear about it. 

Dan

0 Kudos

I don’t know if you ever found your answer. Go to home. Settings. Privacy and should find it there 

0 Kudos
swayne

What I do with all of my remotes with the Voice/microphone button is to take a knife and cut the button off. I did this with the shortcut buttons as well because they go too channels I don't use. Because some Roku remotes have the OK/Select button where the Voice button is on these remotes, it's far too easy to hit one of these buttons by mistake. So removing them is best.

It requires a sharp knife so be careful. Roku really needs to add an actual setting to disable or reprogram all of those buttons.

Capturbo

Thanks. I tried using the Privacy settings to turnoff the mic. It didn't work.

I'm trying to keep my clever 7 year old grandson from accessing programs that are inappropriate for him. I blocked those shows individually, but he was still able to get to them by using the mic feature.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Unless you are using a Roku Stick player, I suggest getting a basic Roku IR remote and only let your grandson use that one. Put the Voice Remote somewhere he can't access it. The IR remote will do everything he needs to use the Roku for your approved uses, but has no voice capabilities. 

Dan